Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEP12.1: Purpose of the .slf?

Posted Oct 05, 2011 10:18 AM

Hello everybody,

I'm new to SEP and I'm just wondering. What exactly is the purpose of the .slf License Activation Method if you can just activate by typing in your serial number. My first guess was "offline activation", but someone more experienced with the product told me that both methods work the same way. I've searched for clues on the Enterprise Support Website and in this forum but found no answer. I would be grateful for an answer.

• 2.  RE: SEP12.1: Purpose of the .slf?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 05, 2011 10:33 AM

.slf file is license file for the SEP or SNAC.

May be this link might help

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO55294

• 3.  RE: SEP12.1: Purpose of the .slf?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 05, 2011 11:12 AM

There are a few reasons why you might pick .slf over entering the serial number.

1 - You can select multiple license files to active where inputing a serial number you have to do one at a time. (note: if you notice some of the quantities disappear, you may need to go to "recover a deleted license" to enable those lost licenses)

2 - If all you have is just the license file and you don't want to open up the file to get the serial number, then this is going to be the easier method.

3 - You need a live internet connection with inputing a serial number in order to register. If you attempt to enter a serial number without a live connection, you will get the error "Unable to connect to the license server..."

With a license file, you can install it even when there is no internet connection.

So you are exactly correct with your assumption on "offline activation"!

One other thing is that if you are doing a lot of testing and you need to install/delete/remove licenses a lot, then you will want to import the license file (.slf) instead of typing in the serial number. Entering the serial number will make a call out to the license server and will essentially re-register that serial number.

• 4.  RE: SEP12.1: Purpose of the .slf?

Posted Oct 05, 2011 11:19 AM

Serial number is for entire product

if you have 10 licenses now, you can use any of the methods mentioned

however my guess is if u get additional licenses,u would be using .slf to the existing one.

• 5.  RE: SEP12.1: Purpose of the .slf?

Posted Oct 05, 2011 03:59 PM

From a functionality stand point whether you use the Serial Number or whether you use the .slf file you get the same features enabled.  If you put the Serial Number into SEPM then SEPM will download the .slf file automatically.  So either way the end result is the same.  In both cases SEPM will end up with the same .slf file.

Note the two key reason to use an .slf file are:

1. Your SEPM servers are in a "black" network with no Internet access.  In this case you must use an .slf file.

2. You have multiple SEPM servers that are not replicating and not using the same database.  In this case you may want to use an .slf file for all your different SEPM servers.

• 6.  RE: SEP12.1: Purpose of the .slf?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Oct 07, 2011 02:47 PM

Hello,

I believe these Articles below would be able to help you:

1) Licensing Symantec Endpoint Protection

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55056

2) How to upgrade your SEP11 license to SEP12 online

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-upgrade-your-sep11-license-sep12-online

Hope that helps!!

• 7.  RE: SEP12.1: Purpose of the .slf?

Posted Oct 17, 2011 03:54 AM

as support engineer I can say that your quick responsed helped me a lot to understand the mechanisms of licensing in SEP 12.1, especially in different architectural situations. Thank you all.

• 8.  RE: SEP12.1: Purpose of the .slf?

Posted Oct 17, 2011 05:00 AM

问题:

大家好,

我刚接触SEP,我只想知道。什么是.slf 许可激活方法的根本目的,如果您只可以通过键入您的序列号激活。我第一个猜测是"脱机激活",但对产品更有经验的人告诉我这两种方法工作起来相同。我在企业技术支持网站上和并本论坛上搜索线索,但未找到答案。我将不胜感激的答案。

解决方案:

有几个原因,为什么你可能挑.slf 而不是输入序列号。

1-您可以选择多个许可文件去激活,而输入序列号,你要做一次一个。(注: 如果您注意到一些数量消失,您可能需要到"恢复已删除的许可证"去启用那些丢失的许可证)

2-如果你只有许可证文件,只是,你不想打开文件以获取序列号,那么这是个较简单的方法。

3-您输入一个序列号时需要实时互联网连接才能注册。如果您尝试输入序列号而没有实时连接,您将得到错误提示"无法连接到许可证服务器 … …"

许可证文件,您可以安装它即使没有互联网连接。

所以你的设想"脱机激活"是正确的!

另一件事是如果你做了大量的测试和你需要安装/删除/删除许可证很多次,那么,你就会觉得导入许可文件 (.slf) 而不是输入序列号。输入序列号会链接到许可证服务器,并最终将重新注册该序列号。