Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  SEP.cloud - update 21.5.0.19 not receiving definition updates

Posted Oct 09, 2014 01:22 PM

On Monday, October 6, one of the computers at a client site had the prompt to reboot following the update to the latest Endpoint client version.

Ever since, it has not pulled down any new definitions and has not run any scans.  The status of the widgets on the client are all grey.

On the PMC, the statistics show the same, although the widgets are all greeen.  Pushing the updates from the PMC resulted in no change in status - and, quite strangely - no update in the History.

Running "Update Definitions" on the client resulted in "No definitions found."

I am finding this a bit disconcerting.

Anyone else out there have a similar issue?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: SEP.cloud - update 21.5.0.19 not receiving definition updates

Posted Oct 09, 2014 01:29 PM

May want to verify with support. Seems like something is up with the defs.

• 3.  RE: SEP.cloud - update 21.5.0.19 not receiving definition updates

Posted Oct 09, 2014 05:43 PM

Opened a ticket with support.

They have not heard of this specifically, but I was told that it may require up to three restarts before everything is back to normal following the update to Endpoint client 21.5.0.19.

In this case, I did just that - and of course found two very interesting things.

1) I downloaded Symhelp (just in case) and received the message: "SymHelp.exe has no available reputation information".  I just cracked up at that one.

2) Saw this message when I tried to update the client directly:

Symerror1.JPG

This, of course, is a bit more disturbing.  Obviously there is no "OK" button, but I am wondering what functionality is not working properly behind the scenes.  Eventually, it starts to process; and on the third reboot, it actually pulled down new definitions.

Gonna start to look at Sophos as an alternative, because this is starting to get to me...

• 4.  RE: SEP.cloud - update 21.5.0.19 not receiving definition updates

Posted Oct 09, 2014 06:12 PM

What I don't understand is the reboots needed after getting updates...

• 5.  RE: SEP.cloud - update 21.5.0.19 not receiving definition updates

Posted Oct 10, 2014 04:58 PM

Because this is a "point" change, the agent needs to reboot at least once, as stated in this notice:

Greetings from the Symantec Support team,

We are excited to announce the latest endpoint security from Symantec. This agent update gives your endpoints the most advanced technologies from Symantec to protect your endpoints from the growing number of threats.

We would however like to stress the need for a reboot so the system is fully operational and can communicate with the cloud backend. Rest assured that you are completely protected as the anti-virus engine is fully operational and protecting the endpoint with Symantec’s latest technology. Once the system has been restarted, everything will again function normally.

We will also have an improved user experience to clearly highlight “reboot required” on the ‘Computers' page. You may easily view all the endpoints that need to reboot and take action. The reboot required is also shown with a message on the updated computer that pops up every 5 minutes.

And as always, ensure your redistributable packages are updated with the latest security software for distribution within your environment.

Should you find that you have other questions or if you need technical help, please contact the Customer Support Team at 1-866-807-6047 or create a support ticket in your Hosted Endpoint Portal.

Sincerely,

The Symantec Customer Communications Team

But it seems that even after that, the change requires a second (or third) reboot to get all of the parts and pieces updated and talking with the back-end in the cloud.