Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEPM 11.06 - MP3, Communications Ports to allow Clients to talk to SEPM

Posted May 17, 2011 09:40 AM

Which Communication Ports does Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 use?
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102416

** MY QUESTION IS **

We opened up these ports before so the communication would work with SEPM to the Client  - -  2967 TCP and 38293 UDP  and have had NO ISSUES with communication at all between the SEPM and Client, it just since we install 11.06 MP3 we have - - WHY ?

I see from the ARTICLE above that was sent me, that UDP port 38293 is NO longer used - - was that replaced by UDP port 39999..... Also I see that port 8014 is now used ONLY with MR3 and above, are there any other ports that we need to open or be aware of ???

Thanks for your help,

Mike

• 2.  RE: SEPM 11.06 - MP3, Communications Ports to allow Clients to talk to SEPM

Posted May 17, 2011 09:51 AM

only one port is used for communication in this case it is 8014 or 80 whatever u set in IIS

• 3.  RE: SEPM 11.06 - MP3, Communications Ports to allow Clients to talk to SEPM
    Best Answer

Posted May 17, 2011 09:53 AM

Check this document

Which Communication Ports does Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 use?http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102416

• 4.  RE: SEPM 11.06 - MP3, Communications Ports to allow Clients to talk to SEPM

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 17, 2011 11:33 AM

Hello,

Incase, if you have MR3 and later builds - Default port used in Communication between the SEPM manager and SEP clients and Enforcers is Port 8014  and Port 80 in older versions.

The Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) use two web servers: Internet Information Services (IIS) and Tomcat. IIS uses port 80 (or 8014) and 443. Tomcat uses port(s) 9090 and 8443. The communication between IIS and Tomcat uses the HTTP protocol. IIS uses port 9090 to talk to Tomcat, Tomcat uses port 80 to talk to IIS.

The clients communicate with the Enforcer using a proprietary communication protocol. This communication uses a challenge-response to authenticate the clients. The default port for this is UDP 39,999.

About client firewalls and communication ports

• 5.  RE: SEPM 11.06 - MP3, Communications Ports to allow Clients to talk to SEPM

Posted May 19, 2011 09:16 AM

whereever I have the SEPM located it cannot have the Windows Firewall on at all - - I opened up all of the ports recommended on the attachment above, but it still will not communicate with any of the SEP clients on your CLIENTS Tab, unless it is located on the same machine as the SEPM. Once I disabled the Windows Firewall on the SEPM PC it allowed me to find the other PCs/Servers on list - no matter if the SEP Client had Windows Firewall on or not .... I added 39999 UDP and  8014 TCP and 1812 UDP as exceptions on the WINDOWS Firewall (( I already had 2967 TCP opened from Previous Versions )) and everything has been working just fine - - Updates are going thru OK and scans are being run as expected and it is communicating perfectly with SEPM...

So I think the SEP client is OK to have Windows Firewall on with a couple exceptions added in, however the SEPM must have the Windows Firewall DISABLED.

Just thought I'd let you know what is working for me,

Mike

• 6.  RE: SEPM 11.06 - MP3, Communications Ports to allow Clients to talk to SEPM

Posted May 19, 2011 09:20 AM

Ports 39999 UDP and   1812 are not needed.

on the SEPM server also, u just need to create a windows firewall exception for port 8014; thats all needed.

since its a two way communication port 8014 should be open on client as well as on your sepm server