Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

SEPM 11.0.7 fails to deploy to PC without firewall

Created: 05 Nov 2012 • Updated: 05 Nov 2012 | 11 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have a Windows 7 Pro x64 PC and the SEPM 11.0.7 is on a Windows Server 2008 R2.

I can search for unmanaged PCs or assign packages to groups that the PC is in, but SEPM fails to deploy. I've read the online guides and made sure all the ports are open on the server and I don't know what to do.

I will note that I'm learning as I'm going (aka, this is new to me lol) and I'm trying to learn what I can in a short amount of interrupted time to deploy this.

Thanks!

Comments 11 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

Did you disable windows firewall? Turn off UAC?

On the client check in %temp% for the SEP_INST.log and you can post that here for review.

See this KB article:

https://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pa...

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

nthnu's picture

I get the following error...

Some of the selected clients have not yet connected to the server. You cannot do this action on those clients until they have connected to the server.

Thanks for the assistance.

Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter with Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP4 and iSCSI connection to QNAP.

SEP and SEPM 11.0.7200.1147+

.Brian's picture

Is this error when using the deploy wizard?

Can you share a screenshot?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

nthnu's picture

I'm assuming you mean the Migration and Deployment Wizard? I haven't used that, but should I be?

I've got a group with that computer in it. I right-click on it and select Update Content.

sepm error.JPG

Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter with Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP4 and iSCSI connection to QNAP.

.Brian's picture

Yes, you need to first deploy the SEP client to the PC before trying to run commands.

You can create and install a package locally on the client or use the deploy wizard to push remotely. Once SEP is installed than it will be managed by the SEPM and you can run various commands.

Looks like you're using AD sync, correct?

SOLUTION
nthnu's picture

Ok, tried that. On the test PC, I get an Interactive Services Detection window which looks like a "hidden" view of the install process. It's doing LiveUpdate now. :)

Question, the test PC is in that synced group, and I deploy the client (and the package has Default Group selected), it will install it, but keep it in the synced group, right? So if I have a bunch of PCs in different groups, and I used this package again (with Default Group selected), then those PCs will have SEP installed and remain in their groups?

Yes, on AD.

If I move the computer to another group, SEP will remain installed, unless there is a different Install Package assigned to that group, right?

.Brian's picture

Yes, since it is synched with AD, it will stay in the same synched group in SEPM. Where the PCs go in SEPM depends on where you move them in AD, since sync is on.

If AD synch is on for those groups than yes.

Since AD sync is on for those groups, you can't move them in SEPM.

nthnu's picture

Ok, so if we did everything through AD sync, we should have no issues. That would help us simplify things here. All PCs would be getting the same SEP.

I have a couple questions, but didn't know if I should open new posts or do it through here.

1. It appears I can perform a deployment for unmanaged PCs, such as those not on the network. What would you recommend for keeping them updated?
  2. We also have a few locations that have subnets. I think something like a Replication Partner would help? Thinking that would allow updates from the Main server to copy to the Replication server to deploy to the subnets.

Thanks again for all your help!

.Brian's picture

You can deploy to unmanaged PCs but they would need to be on the network if your pushing from your SEPM. Once managed by the SEPM, you can than assign a LiveUpdate policy to schedule content updates.

You can use GUPs at your other locations to update clients.

See these KB articles:

Configuring the Group Update Provider (GUP) in Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 RU5

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH96419&locale=en_US

How to: Setup a Group Update Provider (GUP)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH105005&locale=en_US

Tips For Installing SEP In A Low Bandwidth Environment

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tips-installing-sep-low-bandwidth-environment

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/...

nthnu's picture

Thanks again, you have helped me to get a hold of it lol.

.Brian's picture

Glad to help yes