Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  [SEPM 11.x to SEPM 12.1 RU1] Clients are not updating via "install packages".

Posted Jan 06, 2012 11:12 AM

I just upgraded our SEPM 11.x server to the latest SEPM 12.1 RU1 verison. The clients as well obviously need to be upgraded. They are connecting fine to the new server but are not updating to the packages I have set in the "Install Packages" tab.

The clients are downloading the install packages. I can confirm this by the network traffic as well as the creation of the 'download' folder on the client machines. But after about 30 seconds it just deletes the 'download' folder without even trying to install the new package. The client repeats this over and over again as long as it thinks there is a update (which there is) but fails to install.

However. Pushing the update packages to the clients from the server works fine. But this is just not a practical solution as it takes a very long time scanning subnet after subnet to update these clients. This is also compounded by the horible changes to the remote deployment wizard in 12.1 RU1 (a rant for another thred).

I really need to be able to update clients via "Install Packages". I have updated clients 2-3 times when in version 11.x with no issues.

Enviroment:

Windows Server 2008 R2 (fresh install)

SEPM 12.1 RU1 (fresh install, only importing the Domain ID and the SSL Cert so clients can reconnect wihtout replacing sylink files.)

• 2.  RE: [SEPM 11.x to SEPM 12.1 RU1] Clients are not updating via "install packages".

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 06, 2012 12:15 PM

Hello,

Check this Article:

Symantec Endpoint Protection Auto-Upgrade not working - Error: EVENT_PACKAGE_REQUIRE_STATUS, return=17

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141987

Symantec Endpoint Protection installation fails with "CreateProcessAndWait( LUCHECK.EXE ) returned 206" in the installation log

Again, if you can check SEP_Inst.log, for clients for whcih autoupgrade is configured, that would let us know the exact issue.

Could you upload the SEP_Inst.log from 1 of such machines??

Hope that helps!!

• 3.  RE: [SEPM 11.x to SEPM 12.1 RU1] Clients are not updating via "install packages".

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 06, 2012 12:33 PM

can you pass on the sep_inst.log from the clients where the traffic is seen and not upgraded?

• 4.  RE: [SEPM 11.x to SEPM 12.1 RU1] Clients are not updating via "install packages".

Posted Jan 10, 2012 09:49 AM

There is no sep_inst.log as the upgrade never starts.

The sep_inst.log file that is there is from the origional install of the 11.x client months ago.

• 5.  RE: [SEPM 11.x to SEPM 12.1 RU1] Clients are not updating via "install packages".

Posted Jan 10, 2012 01:27 PM

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141987

The clients and server are all on the same language (English).

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH96559

Not using LiveUpdate to update the clients. Using the SEPM server to push the updates out.

As I replied to the other post below the sep_inst.log file only has information in it from the original install of the 11.x client months ago. The modify time on the file had not changed when I applied the new 12.1 updates for deployment leading me to beleive the clients are not even atempting to run the update.

I can upload a copy of the debug.log from one of the clients after it downloads a update later this afternoon/tomorrow.

• 6.  RE: [SEPM 11.x to SEPM 12.1 RU1] Clients are not updating via "install packages".

Posted Jan 11, 2012 02:00 AM

Please check for any application and device control rules blocking the upgrade..because iam also faced the same issue..but after i disabled and tried clients got upgraded

• 7.  RE: [SEPM 11.x to SEPM 12.1 RU1] Clients are not updating via "install packages".
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 08:58 AM

Sorry for taking like, forever to bet back to this post.

I just want to say the issue is solved.

I did not realise that you could not update 11.0.6005.562 directly to 12.1.1000.157 using the "add packages to group" (install packages tab) method. I had to first update all my clients to 11.0.7101.1056 then I could update them to 12.1.1000.157.