Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

SEPM 12.1 clients - user mode vs computer mode

Created: 17 Dec 2012 • Updated: 22 Jan 2013 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

I'm relatively new to SEPM - just putting that out there.

From what I understand, most companies use computer mode on most of the clients and then may also have a few that are configured in user mode.

Does this only mean that the clients that are in computer mode won't be potentially changed is a user with elevated priiviledge logs in? From what I'm reading I'd think yes, but . . . .

I'm looking for the ability to lock down DVD and USB drive on almost all PC's, but exclude those policies when someone in the IT group logs into them.

And this means all these clients need to be in user mode, huh?

Is there info I don't know that might compell me not to employ user mode? I could also see that the need to have access probably doesn't happen often (when the network is available to copy from), and that I could just move a client into another group and updating the policy.

Also, how are new users introduced into SEPM? I see that an OU or container can be imported but am not aware if that can be a scheduled process. Does user mode mean we have additional steps in a new hire process?

Thank you,

Kevin Murphy

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

Here is a helpful KB article on user/computer mode:

https://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pa...

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Kevin Murphy's picture

Thank you for replying.  I've actually seen this while looking around.

I user mode, would we have to keep importing from OU's/Containers, as people are hired/terminated? Or is there a way that process can be scheduled?

Is there anything available (white paper?) that describes a (more or less) typical user mode implementation?

Thanks,

Kevin Murphy

LAN Admin III

Kevin Murphy's picture

I've searched through a lot of material on using user mode. I still haven't gotten an answer to:

- If you set up LDAP synch (ours goes every 24 hrs), AND you create a group and import the content of an OU, do new accounts show up without you running the sync command?

One thing I haven't found yet that would really help is some sort of "white paper" that details how someone other installation was converted.

Thanks,

Kevin Murphy

LAN Admin III

Ashish-Sharma's picture

If you set up LDAP synch (ours goes every 24 hrs), AND you create a group and import the content of an OU, do new accounts show up without you running the sync command?

IF your SEPM not Sync AD new account not showing untile SEPM not sync AD.

Check this thread

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep...

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

SOLUTION