Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEPM 12.1 configuration has "Deafult Embedded database" grayed out

Posted Aug 22, 2011 02:22 PM

We were running SEPM 11 on a server with its embedded database (1400 users) on Windows 2003 SP2. A year ago I had to move the database to the D: drive, because it was getting too large (8 GB) for the C: drive. We have plenty of room on the D: drive.

I recently upgraded to SEPM 12.1 on the same server. While running the Configuration Wizard, I don't have the option to select the Default Embedded database, the SQL database is selected. Both options are grayed out.

It's looking like SEPM 12.1 does not see the embedded database because it is on the D: drive (though SEPM 11 worked fine after I moved the database). I do not want to use SQL 2005 due to low disk space on the C: drive, I would prefer staying with the embedded database on the D: drive.

How do I force the Configuration Wizard to use the embedded database on the D: drive? And is there a way to install SEPM on another drive besides C: drive? Thanks for your help!

• 2.  RE: SEPM 12.1 configuration has "Deafult Embedded database" grayed out

Posted Aug 22, 2011 02:45 PM

sepm would detect the current setup and upgrade based on that,

do u see symantec embedded database service running in the services.exe?

I doubt u would be using SQL DB

• 3.  RE: SEPM 12.1 configuration has "Deafult Embedded database" grayed out

Posted Aug 22, 2011 02:54 PM

and also ; when u select the db size ; select the first option , smaller the size you will have DB selected

• 4.  RE: SEPM 12.1 configuration has "Deafult Embedded database" grayed out

Posted Aug 22, 2011 03:45 PM

Thanks for your assistance!

The Symantec Embedded Database service is not started. When I try to start it, it stops again. It is in Automatic mode. I figured the service could not start since it is not being supported by SEPM 12.1 yet (since it hasn't been upgraded yet). I checked the Event Viewer after trying to start the server and found the following Event ID 1:

SQLANYs_sem5, Database cannot be started -- D:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.db was created by a different version of the software. You must rebuild this database in order to use it with SQL Anywhere 11.

• 5.  RE: SEPM 12.1 configuration has "Deafult Embedded database" grayed out

Posted Aug 22, 2011 03:47 PM

I haven't gotten that far for it to ask me for the database size. The present embedded database size is over 9 GB.

• 6.  RE: SEPM 12.1 configuration has "Deafult Embedded database" grayed out
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2011 03:32 AM

Hi,

I believe your upgrade will be getting roll back or failed to upgrade.

Follow disaster recovery for SEP 11.x.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH102333

With the help of disaster recovery install SEPM on D drive.

After successfully install of SEPM on D drive, you can upgrade SEPM to 12.1 without any issue.

• 7.  RE: SEPM 12.1 configuration has "Deafult Embedded database" grayed out

Posted Aug 23, 2011 11:31 AM

Thanks for your input Chetan!

So you're saying the best thing for me to do would be the following:

Uninstall SEPM 12.1

Reinstall SEPM 11 on the D: drive

Upgrade SEPM 11 with SEPM 12.1 on the D: drive

Is that the procedure you are recommending? It's doable. I have a question that fits in with this. If I reinstall SEPM 11 on the C: drive (with the SEM5 database on the D: drive, like things were before the 12.1 upgrade), will I be able to upgrade to SEPM 12.1 onto the D: drive? Or will it upgrade onto the same drive that SEPM 11 resides on? Should SEPM 11 be on the same drive as its database for the 12.1 upgrade to work correctly?

• 8.  RE: SEPM 12.1 configuration has "Deafult Embedded database" grayed out

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 24, 2011 02:50 AM

Hi,

Before upgrade have you followed disaster recovery or have you taken backup ?

If yes then go ahead uninstall SEPM 12.1.

Reinstall SEPM 11.x on the D drive, restore client communication with the help of backup/disaster recovery.

Upgrade SEPM 11.x to SEPM 12.1 on the D: drive.

It's recommended to have SEPM & it's database on same drive.