Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEPM 12.1 excessive RAM usage.

Posted Apr 22, 2013 06:55 PM
      |   view attached

While troubleshooting an issue with a damaged embedded database table, I noticed that nearly all of the 12 GB of memory was being used, according to Task Manager.  Had not noticed this before, so I was concerned when the database fix did not resolve this.

A boot would clear it up for hours (usage drops to two, three  or four GB mostly)  but typically by the next day memory was all used again.

Oddly, Task Mgr says all the RAM is used, but the processes displayed are obviously not using it (not adding up to anywhere near 11.5 GB). Hidden processes maybe?

SEP 12.1.1000 running on Win 2008r2.

Maybe others experience the same but I could not find any posts on it. This thread has some similarities though: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/database-high-memory-utilization-sep-121

HTH

John

• 2.  RE: SEPM 12.1 excessive RAM usage.

Posted Apr 22, 2013 06:55 PM

Our solution:

Long story short, I launched a  sysinternals  tool called RamMap, and as soon as it started, it displayed the resolution.  On the Use Counts tab, it showed that nearly 10 GB of memory is actually Unused. It also showed that most of that was even zeroed out.  So when Task Manager says 11.5 GB is used that is not necessarily as accurate as what RamMap can report, I believe.  

• 3.  RE: SEPM 12.1 excessive RAM usage.

Posted Apr 22, 2013 06:57 PM

Process Explorer may also show you something.

I would also suggest upgrading to 12.1 RU2

• 4.  RE: SEPM 12.1 excessive RAM usage.

Posted Apr 22, 2013 07:02 PM

In progress, but that is a months-long process here.

Thanks

• 5.  RE: SEPM 12.1 excessive RAM usage.

Posted Apr 22, 2013 07:04 PM

May want to post this as a blog as it will eventually get lost in the shuffle of the all posts.

• 6.  RE: SEPM 12.1 excessive RAM usage.

Posted Apr 23, 2013 10:17 AM

Is a blog more helpful than a forum post? Personally, I netsearch on issues, but seldom browse the blogs.

I posted so that when someone does an internet search (bound to symantec.com) they would find this possibility.

Thansk for the suggestion

• 7.  RE: SEPM 12.1 excessive RAM usage.

Posted Apr 23, 2013 10:20 AM

I guess it depends on the user preference but the forum post will eventually get pushed down to the bottom and on subsequent pages. A blog usually doesn't or may take much longer for that to happen.