Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

SEPM 12.1 fails to start

Created: 28 Mar 2012 • Updated: 05 Apr 2012 | 10 comments
Stoknes's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

After about one month of operations, the SEPM 12.1 service suddenly stopped working.

The problem started with a customer of mine notifying me of Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 not working, or she wasn't able to log in to the server. Checking services I noticed that the server was stuck in "starting" mode, and could not be stopped. I noticed that SEPM 12.1 also was stopped, and it could not be restarted. Thinking that these two might be affecting each other I set them both to manual startup in service manager, and rebooted. After reboot BE 12.5 runs fine, but not SEPM. The error message from Event Viewer states that it is Webserver component that can't start. 

I notice that SEPM utilizes Apache 2.2.21.5 - the customer already had Apache Tomcat 6 installed on the server at the time of SEPM installation. Could this be the problem?

Anyone had similar problems, or have some recommendations? I'm quite new to both SEPM and BE btw.

Brgds,

Rune Dyrhaug Stoknes

Comments 10 CommentsJump to latest comment

AkhilBansal's picture

From the description of your problem it looks like SEPM web server could not start because the port on which it is configured to start is already occupied.

Please run the management configuration wizard for SEPM and specify an unused port for apache web server.

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

Could you attach scm-server-0.log & catalina.out file to this thread.

You will find them under %root directory% \Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Tomcat\logs

These files may give fruitful information why service is stopped.

Chetan Savade
Sr.Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

Sayan's picture

Hey Stoknes 

If you have not much time to do rectification then you must go for the disaster recovery.below link will help you : http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH160736

Stoknes's picture

Tried to look into the ports issue mentioned by Akhil, but that is not the issue. netstat shows that neither of the 8014, 8443, 8445 nor 9090 is in use. Now, also the Backup Exec problem is back as the customer complained about not being able to log in (the service has stopped once more). Had to run the taskkill command to end BE server, as it wasn't answering.

Tried to run through the Management Server Wizard once more, but only got the error message that web services couldn't be initialized (service can't be started, tried manually as well).

I have sifted through the log files referred to by Chetan, and being no expert at this it seems like available memory is the most likely problem. By the looks of Task Manager, that is not the case though.

I will attach the files for someone interested to study.

Brgds,

Rune D Stoknes 

AttachmentSize
scm-server-0.txt 2.32 KB
catalina.txt 29.76 KB
Chetan Savade's picture

Hi Stoknes,

Logs are not giving me any fruitful information 

Try to start apache service through command prompt

Go to start à run à cmd.exe

Cd to <SEPM _ROOT _DIR>/Apache/bin/ type "Httpd.exe –restart "

Check this article as well

How to change communication port in Apached Web Server ?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

While running management server configuration wizard you are getting an error, could you please attach screenshot of that ?

Also if possible attach SST logs to this thread

Here is the location of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Support Tool:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/home_homeoffice/products/sep/Sep_SupportTool.exe

Chetan Savade

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

Stoknes's picture

Hi Chetan, and thanks for your efforts. Sorry for the delayed response here, but I have been busy on different assignments.

I have tried the command line trick, but it results in the same as when initiating the Apache service from Windows Services menu (see attached screen shot #1 and #2).

I have not altered the standard ports for web services, as there are no conflicts with existing services (see attached screenshot #3 and #4).

I tried once more to run through the Server Configuration Wizard, but the Wizards fails on the same place as previously (see attached screenshot #5, #6 and #7).

I ran the SST and, as expected, got lots of error messages - most of them stating that SEPM services are not running. See the attached log file (remove ending .txt). After reading through the results, I realized that HDD space was being running low again. I ran disk cleanup, uninstalled one space consuming app that no longer was being used, but SST still complained about disk space. I then realised that sep5.log file was consuming no less than a staggering 23GB's. After deleting this I tried to run the Repair function with SEPM in Programs and Features. After reporting a successful repair, ending up in Server Configuration Wizard I still get stuck on the same place as above (screenshot #5).

Next step will probably be to un- and then reinstall SEPM all over. I have backed up the DB, so importing it will probably give me the same setup as previously.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Brgds,

Rune D Stoknes

Screenshot #1.png Screenshot #2.png Scrrenshot #3.png Screenshot #4.png Screenshot #5.png Screenshot #6.png Screenshot #7.png
AttachmentSize
labora02__2012_04_03__09_08_51_full.sdbz_.txt 6.71 MB
Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

Don't go for uninstall and reinstall directly, how much free space you have now ?

Try this article : Tuning the Performance of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console

Check specially for java heap size

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH105179

Browse to: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Apache\conf\
Edit the httpd.conf file
Locate the line that reads "Listen 8014"
Directly below that line add in: Win32DisableAcceptEx
It should now read:

Listen 8014
Win32DisableAcceptEx

Save the file and restart the machine or the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, Symantec Protection Center WebServer, and Symantec Embedded Database services.

If login still fails review the Error.log and confirm if this message is now seen:
[error] (OS 10038)An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket. : Too many errors in select loop. Child process exiting.

Reset/Repair Winsock

Open a command prompt
Type: netsh winsock reset

Reboot the server.

Chetan Savade

Stoknes's picture

Hi there.

Still no luck, tried to increase heap size to min 128.

Also edited the httpd.conf file but with no change. Web service still won't start, and it seems the service halts so early in the process that log file isn't even updated (no change in a week now).

Still don't want to recommend a reinstall?

Brgds,

Rune D Stoknes 

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

I have slightly doubt in mind that after reinstall you may face same issue.

if you wish you can continue with reinstall.

Chetan Savade

Stoknes's picture

Thanks for all the efforts in the community.

After several tries to get the webserver/apache service running, I finally went with Sayan's proposal and did a Disaster Recovery.

First, I backed up the DB and put it along with the recovery file on the drive root.

Then I uninstalled SEPM from Programs & features, and started the installation wizard selecting recovery file info during setup.

Further on, stopped the SEPM server and web server services, restored DB and restarted services. Being impatient about computer connections, I went on exporting communications settings and imported the sylink.xml file on the SEPM server itself. The other clients reconnected just afterwards, so it was probably an unnecessary move on my part.

Now all services are up and running.

Brgds,

Rune D Stoknes

SOLUTION