Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEPM 12.1 getting liveupdate return code=4. won't update

Posted Jan 23, 2013 02:26 PM
      |   view attached

installation is in a server 2008R2 environment, server is a VM. 

it fails to update.  I have verified with my network team that it isn't even getting to the firewall at all.  server has internet connectivity.

we have checked the following.

transparent proxy.

Firewall is not blocking

IE enhanced security is turned off.

This is a fresh install of SEPM and appears to work fine.  it just doesn't update.  I have tried registering the SEPM as well, no luck. 

any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: SEPM 12.1 getting liveupdate return code=4. won't update

Posted Jan 23, 2013 02:27 PM

also, I'm new to this site, please forgive me if I posted in the wrong location or format or am missing any information.

• 3.  RE: SEPM 12.1 getting liveupdate return code=4. won't update
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 23, 2013 02:32 PM

Check this KB article. Start with Step 2 for the SEPM

SEP12.1 RU1,LiveUpdate returns result as no updates available

Article:TECH158336  |  Created: 2011-04-19  |  Updated: 2012-10-05  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH158336

• 4.  RE: SEPM 12.1 getting liveupdate return code=4. won't update

Posted Jan 23, 2013 03:25 PM

Error = 4 is generic LU error and mean basically that the LU session failed - can you execute the "luall.exe" on the server - here you should see the more detailed error about the LU session.

Type luall.exe simply in start menu to start the express session of liveupdate or you can find the executable as well under: C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LUALL.EXE

Let us know what error do you see here. Under circumstances it may be necessary to reinstall the Liveupdate component and then reregister it with SEPM.

• 5.  RE: SEPM 12.1 getting liveupdate return code=4. won't update

Posted Jan 24, 2013 08:17 AM

that did it.  thank you sir.