Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEPM 12.1 upgrade

• 1.  SEPM 12.1 upgrade

Posted Jan 02, 2013 08:11 AM

Hello all,

Happy Newyear to all of you.

I have a question about automatically upgrading clients to the latest version of SEP from the SEPM.
    I recently upgrade to the latest version of SEPM 12.1 RU2, and im attaching the new clients to some of my groups to test the functionalty of the new SEP clients 12.1.2015.2015.

Strange thing is some of the clients upgrade to the newest client and some don't even after a few weeks they still didnt upgrade to the client i attachted to this group.
    Does anyone know why this behaviour is happening?

Thanks,

LEVD

• 2.  RE: SEPM 12.1 upgrade

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 02, 2013 08:20 AM

Hello,

In the Enterprise version, you can use Upgrade Clients with Package to upgrade existing clients: 

However, the following cautions apply:

• If you upgrade from 11.x and use Application and Device Control, you must disable the Application Control rule "Protect client files and registry keys." After the clients receive the new policy, you may upgrade using AutoUpgrade.

• Due to possible bandwidth concerns, it is best to schedule AutoUpgrade for after hours. You can also stage and select a package on a web server when you run Upgrade Clients with Package, or you can use an alternate method to deploy the upgrade package.

This Issue may also occur due to either - 

- Upgrade schedule badly configured

OR

- DNS issues.

I would request you to perform the steps provided below:

- Access the install packages tab and remove the upgrade packages that has been added;

- Add the packages again;

- Set new period of time time for SEPM to provide the upgrade packages to the clients.

If the DNS error is shown in SylinkMonitor, try to add the SEPM's IP address and name into hosts file as workaround but also verify if the DNS server registries are correctly configured.

Reference Article:

Auto upgrade does not work when migrating from SEP 11.x to 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH172779

Also, Check these Articles:

Best practices for upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH163700

Steps to prepare computers to install Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 client

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163112

Hope that helps!!

• 3.  RE: SEPM 12.1 upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 02, 2013 08:26 AM
    i hope you are using the autoupgrade feature http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO55058 have you scheduled the upgrade? are the clients which have not been upgraded are they communicating with SEPM?

• 4.  RE: SEPM 12.1 upgrade

Posted Jan 02, 2013 08:33 AM

Im attaching the new client package to the group i want to upgrade.
    The clients are all communicating normally to the SEPM.

• 5.  RE: SEPM 12.1 upgrade

Posted Jan 02, 2013 08:34 AM

Do they have the correct policy for the group they're in?

• 6.  RE: SEPM 12.1 upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 02, 2013 08:35 AM
    can you check the sylink log ? it should throw some light on the request for the package, are the packages 64 bit as well 32 bit assigned to them?

• 7.  RE: SEPM 12.1 upgrade

Posted Jan 02, 2013 08:46 AM

Yes im attaching both 32 and 64 bits client packages. Can you tell location of sylink log file?

• 8.  RE: SEPM 12.1 upgrade

Posted Jan 02, 2013 08:56 AM

Will be located in C:\

• 9.  RE: SEPM 12.1 upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 02, 2013 08:56 AM
    firstly you need to enable it How to enable Sylink Debugging for Symantec Endpoint Protection in the registry- SEP 12.1 http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH104758

• 10.  RE: SEPM 12.1 upgrade

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 02, 2013 09:09 AM
    Have you upgraded from a SEPM 11 to SEPM12 RU2? If so were you using Application and Device control to protect clients and registry keys? Disbale that rule set in the policy as SEP 12 has moved registry protection to a different area and this policy will prevent the SEP 11 clients with this policy from upgrading to 12 RU2. Hope this helps :)

• 11.  RE: SEPM 12.1 upgrade

Posted Jan 02, 2013 09:23 AM

no not using application and device control, also some clients are upgraded normally..

• 12.  RE: SEPM 12.1 upgrade

Posted Jan 02, 2013 08:59 PM

View the SEP_INST.LOG file located in C:\Windows\Temp.  Scroll to the bottom and work your way up to see if there's any errors why it didn't install.  Use a program called SMS TRACE from Microsoft to make viewing the log a lot easier.

• 13.  RE: SEPM 12.1 upgrade

Posted Jan 07, 2013 08:39 AM

Ok thanks i will look into things.

levd