Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEPM 12.1.2 and Windows 8

Posted Nov 29, 2012 10:31 AM

HI folks,

I just upgraded my SEPM to 12.1.2, and am looking to add my first Winows 8 laptop to have SEP.   I'm getting this error on SEPM when I try to run the Client Deployment Wizard and deploy the 12.1.2 64Bit Client to my Windows 8 laptop:

NST fails to scan some IP's because of the time out of the scan thread (0x16000000).

I don't have UAC control on for the laptop, and in the Windows firewall I have File and Printer Sharing checked at the domain level.  This is my first Win 8 machines, and everything worked fine for my Win 7 boxes.

I did just upgrade from 12.1. to 12.1.2 SEPM successfully this morning thinking I needed that for Win 8.  I'm just looking for advice, if anyone has seen this and can help me out.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: SEPM 12.1.2 and Windows 8

Posted Nov 29, 2012 10:40 AM

Do you have any firewall or other intermediary device on your network that could be blocking the scan for machines?

• 3.  RE: SEPM 12.1.2 and Windows 8

Posted Nov 29, 2012 10:48 AM

Brian,

Everything worked fine with SEPM 12.1 on the server and installing protection client to computers with other servers and Win 7 computers, so unless upgrading SEPM from 12.1 to 12.1.2 somehow changes that, I don't think so.

I figured it was something on the laptop,but when I look up that error, I don't think any of the issue apply, I have UAC turned off on the laptop, and File and Printer Sharing on, as the solutions describe.  I looked at the event viewer of the laptop to see if it was blocking it somehow, but it doesn't have any events for SEP or SEPM listed.  My server and Win 8 laptop are on the same subnet if that matters.

I assume there are logs on SEPM I could look that might give me a clue, but I don't see anything in them.

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: SEPM 12.1.2 and Windows 8
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 29, 2012 12:51 PM

We've documented additional steps to take when deploying to Windows 8:

Preparing Windows operating systems for remote deployment
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO80805

Barring that, you may want to check out this thread. May be relevant, same error message, though it sounds like you're only trying to remote push it to one machine: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/error-message-ive-never-seen

sandra

• 5.  RE: SEPM 12.1.2 and Windows 8

Posted Nov 29, 2012 01:28 PM

Sandra,

Your link provided the answer.  I enabled and started the remote registry service on the Windows 8 laptop and that allowed me to push from SEPM to the Windows 8 machine.  I didn't have to change the other settings, but this one allowed it to work. 

Thanks so much!

• 6.  RE: SEPM 12.1.2 and Windows 8

Posted Nov 29, 2012 02:23 PM

Great news! Happy to help.

sandra