Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

SEPM 12.1.4 DR

Created: 11 Mar 2014 • Updated: 12 Mar 2014 | 8 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I am moving our SEPM to a new server and want to use the Disaster Recovery process.  I setup a new Windows 2008R2 server and installed MS SQL 2012 SP1.  This server has the same name and IP address as the old server, so the old server is off the network right now.  Before I disconnected the old server I created a Database Backup using the SEPM DB Backup/Restore Wizard per article 160736.  I copied this backup and the DR zip file to the new server. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH160736

I installed SEPM 12.1.4 on the new server and am now on the Management Server Configuration Wizard.  Following the instruction on the following article I am choosing "Install an additional management server to an existing site".

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/2326c6a13572aeb788257363002b62aa/92d88823d3071adf88257752005cc440

The problem is, there is no database to connect to yet because I have not restored the database yet, the next step per the above document.  What is the correct proceedure for completing this task?

Operating Systems:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

When the Management Server Configuration Wizard runs, choose "Custom configuration" and "Use a recovery file"

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Rafeeq's picture

you will install it as fresh sepm, then restore the db, then the recovery file

SOLUTION
Jason Cramsey's picture

@Brian

That is the process I was doing as instructed in the linked article.

@Rafeeq

Thanks, that is what I thought was needed but wanted a sesond opinion as I know little about SEP and even less about SQL.  I finished the Config Wizard by setting up a new instance and creating a new database.  Then stopped the services and attempted to restore the database, but received a message that 'the database still open and I needed to stop the services', even though the services were stopped.  I set the services to manual and rebooted the server.  The DB restore is running now.  I will post the results.

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Symantec community.

Total how many SEP clients are installed in the network?

Chetan Savade
Sr.Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

Jason Cramsey's picture

Globally we have around 5000 clients connected to maybe 100 GUPs connected to this single SEPM.

The database restore failed with error "Restore failed due to a database problem: Any partially restored data has been removed. You may run the database restore process again."  In the Event Log there was an error MSSQLSERVER Event 1105 "Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.BINARY_FILE' in database 'sem5' because 'FG_CONTENT' filegroup is full."  A web query on the event ID suggested restarting SQL as a temporary fix.  A web query on the content of the error suggested increasing the FG_CONTENT autogrow maximum size.  The default was 20,000 MB and I increased this to 40,000 MB.  The restore is running again and taking quite a bit longer than before.

Jason Cramsey's picture

Database restore successfull and DR file restored successfully.  Now I just need to open some ports in the firewall and I think we will be running off the new server.  Thanks!

Rafeeq's picture

Thanks for the update..Good day!