Video Screencast Help

SEPM Causing Poor Network Performance. Definition Related?

Created: 26 Dec 2012 | 7 comments

Today we found that our SEPM was the cause of poor network performance across our network. Temporarily restarting the server cleared up these issues.  We are running defintions from Tuesday, December 25, 2012 r22. It would appear as though clients from several offices were ignoring policy and communicating directly with the SEPM instead of the GUPS. We had not had an issue until today with this. We do not use a static GUP configuration. GUP's are determined by Subnet and OS. Running Version 12.1.2015.2015

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

_Brian's picture

Have you verified your GUPs are online?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

LoXodonte's picture

GUP's are online, we were using a policy were GUP's were determined by OS. Now I am using the explicit GUP list and trying to verify the gups with the SEPM Monitor (SEP Content DistMonitor).

Unfortunatly I'm not seeing this list populate with the large list of servers I put in the explicit list. Originally I created a seperate policy for all the GUPS themselves, and I had a seperate policy for the clients who would use the gups. I did this for testing plus it didn't make much sense to me to have GUPS, use GUPS. Now I'm wondering if because the GUPS policy themselves say not to use GUPS that it does not enable them to act as GUPS? Ack, sorry if thats completely confusing...

LoXodonte's picture

Well, now that I'm usign the Explicit GUP list what GUPS I had are now gone...

_Brian's picture

Did they ever work or was this the first time you set this up?

Was the GUP policy applied to the client group successfully?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

AravindKM's picture

Did you modified any liveupdate policy recently?

Please don't forget to mark your thread solved with whatever answer helped you : ) Thanks & Regards Aravind

LoXodonte's picture

No I hadn't changed any policy. Originally I used "Multiple Group Update Providers" with select Operating systems chosen. When I went into to monitor what GUP's where active, there were only about 4/50. I don't know how but I think somehow the OS filter got messed up.

So I switched to Explicit Group Update providers thinking I could just populate that info in one screen. Not quite. Apparently when using "Explicit Group Update providers" it's designed to be used in conjunction with "Multiple Group Update Providers. Having a child tree in the GUI might have helped make that more apparent to me, but I eventually found that info somwhere on here.