Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SEPM RU6a hammers processor on new 2008 R2 server

Migration User

Migration UserMay 10, 2010 10:48 AM

• 1.  SEPM RU6a hammers processor on new 2008 R2 server

Posted May 10, 2010 08:34 AM
    Don't know what others are seeing, but we've got a new virtual server, and installed a fresh clean RU6a on it (NO UPGRADE!)
    It's 2008 R2 with 4gig RAM and 2 processors (R2 is ONLY 64bit, no more 32bit)).

The processor utilization stays very high at a minimum of 10% top is typically 80% with 20-50% being "normal".
    WOW, wonder if that's because it's a 32 bit process running on a 64 bit server OS? That's never a good thing - running 32 bit anything on 64 bit machines is said to cause issues, but SEPM is only 32bit.

It was a pretty quick server until I put SEPM on it.

• 2.  RE: SEPM RU6a hammers processor on new 2008 R2 server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 10, 2010 09:14 AM
    Something I want to confirm:
    1. You said your 2008 R2 is a virtual server, so, you installed the VIRTUAL 2008 R2 on VMware workstation, ESX, or others?
    2. Any other applications and services installed on this 2008 R2?

SEPM uses JAVA and php, that's irrelevant to 32bit application on 64bit OS. 

• 3.  RE: SEPM RU6a hammers processor on new 2008 R2 server

Posted May 10, 2010 09:25 AM
    No, this is a VMWare server running Server 2008 R2.
    ESX has it's own OS, and it's not a workstation.
    It's a server built to run Windows Server 2008 R2.
    So really, it's the same as any other server, physical or otherwise, just happens to be VMWare server.
    The OS is installed just like you'd install the OS from a DVD to a physical server.
    And I think it IS relavent since SEMSVC is a SERVICE running on the OS............ SEMSVC.EXE is 32 bit.
    I would expect that JAVA has nothing to do with a server since the CONSOLE is JAVA and we don't run consoles or applications from servers.  (But I see that SEM DOES run JAVA32! on the server! even with NO console launched.)  The console is running from my desktop and notebook, and those are pretty much OK.
    PHP may apply, but that's just a tiny bit of the SEM services, that's the part that serves the web pages to the console users on other computers.

SEMSVC is taking over 189 meg of memory on the server and is at the top of the memory usage list. Not horrible, but still pretty hefty in a way.

• 4.  RE: SEPM RU6a hammers processor on new 2008 R2 server

Posted May 10, 2010 10:07 AM

I have the same problem. do you have NAC installed as well?

• 5.  RE: SEPM RU6a hammers processor on new 2008 R2 server

Posted May 10, 2010 10:48 AM
    No, no NAC............ we're not licensed for that.

• 6.  RE: SEPM RU6a hammers processor on new 2008 R2 server

Posted May 10, 2010 01:29 PM
    We upgraded to 11.0.6a and our PHP processes started to kill our CPU.  Once we stopped the SAV10 clients from reporting to the SEPM, things went back to normal.  The Symantec Tech was able to re-create the problem and they have sent a task to the Dev Team but it does not look like there will be a fix any time soon. 

We are on Server 2003 SP2 with IIS6 so probably not your problem.

• 7.  RE: SEPM RU6a hammers processor on new 2008 R2 server

Posted May 10, 2010 01:52 PM
    No, it's a pure SEP environment. No SAV, and all SEP clients are either RU5 or RU6a.
    This server is a virgin meaning it's not an upgrade, it was built NEW to be a SEPM server, and the very first SEPM installed was RU6a.
    The other SEPM server is a 2003 server running SEPM 6a, but was upgraded from RU5.
    (and it's getting hammered nearly as badly now that I look again.......... wow, it wasn't this bad under RU5 - interesting.)

• 8.  RE: SEPM RU6a hammers processor on new 2008 R2 server

Posted May 11, 2010 03:17 AM

We have the same problem I think. After upgrading to RU6a on a Virtual Windows 2003 server we can't do anything on the server. SemSvc.exe is using over 1.2 GB of Virtual memory even if no-one is logged into the console. & java.exe is running 543mb of VM

CPU usage is 75-100% constantly since upgrade. I could with RU5 & all previous versions of SEP log into SEPM & LUA on the same box. It's one or the other now & due to the high cpu usage & memory usage , LUA hangs when trying to download or distribute updates.

• 9.  RE: SEPM RU6a hammers processor on new 2008 R2 server

Posted May 11, 2010 12:56 PM

did you recover the clients? or is it hammering the cpu while idling?

• 10.  RE: SEPM RU6a hammers processor on new 2008 R2 server

Posted May 11, 2010 01:42 PM
    Just sitting there hour after hour all day long.
    At times it drops back to 20% utilization, but then resumes kicking up to 30 and 40, then above to 70 and 80.
    I'm monitoring both via the servers task manager/performace AND the VMWare "performance" charts.

• 11.  RE: SEPM RU6a hammers processor on new 2008 R2 server

Posted May 11, 2010 03:37 PM

i didn't mean that. are the clients connected to the server? or is this a fresh installation without any clients attached to it?
    if they are, did problem arise after the clients are restored?

• 12.  RE: SEPM RU6a hammers processor on new 2008 R2 server

Posted May 11, 2010 03:46 PM
    Then I don't know what you mean - we have an existing SEP setup a couple of years old.
    I upgraded one server from SEPM RU5 to SEPM RU6a, it get hammered.
    The other server is a new server with RU6a on it, and it's part of the existing site.
    So it's got clients contacting it just like the other.
    Restore? Sorry, have no idea what restore means!
    How do you restore clients to a server?
    They either contact it as part of a site, or it's not in the server list..........
    Doesn't really matter as this was an existing site - one server upgraded, the other server new and added to the site.
    Since it's installed and given the link to the SQL database, it's going to be part of the setup automatically.
    There was never a time it didn't have clients. Within seconds of installing SEPM and telling it "this is the SQL database over here on this SQL server" then the clients saw it................ it became part of the SEPM default server list.

• 13.  RE: SEPM RU6a hammers processor on new 2008 R2 server

Posted May 11, 2010 09:31 PM
    Do you mean sending reporting/logging?  Because SAV clients can't be managed by the SEPM.  Just curious.

sandra