SEPM Servers not reporting status to SEPMs
I have a problem with SEPM that has been perpetual.
We have 6 SEPM servers that load-balance for the same site. One of these SEPMs are not reporting status to the SEPM console.
For instance, when I log onto SEPM, the HOME dashboard loads. On the upper-right hand side I click "Virus Definition Distribution" and it opens another window. I scroll down the window where it says "Virus Definition Distribution" where it lists the Server and the number of computers checking in
One of the SEPM servers is missing. When I run report
Monitors > Logs > Log type: System > Log content: Server Activity > Server: Name of Missing Server
It turns up blank.
I opened a Case with Symantec and I am yet to get any resolution. All I have been doing is running the SEP Support Tool on the affected SEPM, but I am yet to hear back from anyone.
And now, when I just came into the office, I find a second SEPM server is not reporting anything to the Management console.
Please tell me other ways to troubleshoot this.