Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

SEPM - Solution HTTP 403 Error in Home, Monitor and Reports tabs ..

Created: 03 Jan 2008 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 3 comments
I´ve  been working wíth this SEPM issue for some while and time and I found a working solution in my situation to SEPM error http 400/403/404 in Home, Monitor, and Report tabs (or not visible) in Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager Console:

You must set/add Microsoft Windows environment variables for
CATALINA_HOME and JAVA_HOME variables:

1. Set this variables globally in Microsoft Windows control panel;
         System, Advanced, Environment variables, User variable, New

2. –Set E.g.
 CATALINA_HOME=C:\Program files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat

3. Set E.g.
JAVA_HOME=C:\Program files\Java\jre1.6.0_01
Double check if the variables are set correctly by e.g. opening a *new* MSDOS box, and typing
                  SET CATALINA_HOME
                 and
                  SET JAVA_HOME
                 This should show the correct filepaths as described
                 above

This environment variables is needed for "Tomcat"  parts that SEPM needs to work completely.

:smileyvery-happy:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Paul Murgatroyd's picture
thanks for the post, can you tell me if you've also worked through these KB's first?

I only ask, as SEPM sets its own variables when it starts - these can be clearly seen in the scm-server log file under tomcat\logs

java.home = C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\jdk\jre
catalina.home = C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat

Also, we wouldn't recommend using SEPM with Java 1.6 as its not been certified yet - we are working on that.

thanks

Paul Murgatroyd
Principal Product Manager, Symantec Endpoint Protection
Endpoint twitter feed: http://twitter.com/symc_endpoint

Mr Merlin's picture
Thanks for your post!

Yes I tried your posted KB´s and the settings in my case were OK (all of my settings were as suggested in those KB´s, nothing wrong there).

The only solution that solved my situations was as I mentoned in my post. I had tried several installations of SEPM with the same resultat that home, monitor and reporting was not working. And when I tried my mentioned solution it worked. The SEMP variables did´nt work in all my cases. I choose "Create a custom Web site" in the installation process (worth mentioning because it was trouble otherwise with "Use the default web site" (didn´t work then).

Yes, I know about Java 1.5 vs 1.6, but I tried with Java 1.6 in my cases and it worked with both Java versions. The path was just an example of the path to Java, but it´s like you say that SEPM should have Java 1.5.

Mr Merlin's picture
Minor correction...

JAVA_HOME=C:\Program files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\jdk