Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

SEPM update 11.6->12.1 caused managed clients to remove all components in 11.6

Created: 18 Aug 2011 • Updated: 18 Aug 2011 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Yesterday i initiated the upgrade of my SEPM to 12.1, i planned to update just the manager and my server-group and wait with the clients until i was certain everything worked fine.

However somewhere along the way all clients removed their components (antivirus, network protection etc). SEP 11.6 was still installed and showing a systray icon on all of them, there just weren't any active components inside SEP.

Does anyone know what might have happened and how i can make sure it doesn't happen again?

My SEPM is on a Server 2008 x64, clients were running XP, Vista and Win7 (both 32 and 64bit).

I have two groups, Servers and Clients, with separate policys in each. Since i didn't add any 12.1 packages to the client-group i didn't think anything were going to be changed there.

(also a rather disturbing thing is that windows 7 claim that there is no antivirus or firewall installed on the machines after an upgrade)

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Rafeeq's picture

check this

Clients show "No Symantec protection technologies are installed" after migrating the SEPM from 11.x to 12.1

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH164677

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

Could you upload some screenshots on what happened??

When you say, "there just weren't any active components inside SEP", what does that mean??

Check this Article:

Clients show "No Symantec protection technologies are installed" after migrating the SEPM from 11.x to 12.1

I am sure this may help you!!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

SOLUTION
underlig's picture

Sorry i didnt' remember the exact phrasing, and i didn't think about screenshots.

The link describes exactly what happened and i also know why.

Thanks to both of you for the response.

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

Rafeeq was faster to give that answer!!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.