Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEPM v11.0.2000 MR2 ... is it possible to run 'ludbfix'?

Posted Jun 03, 2009 12:50 AM
    I have SEPM v11.0.2000 MR2 installed, but have some broken links in my embedded database.
    In times past it was possible to run a tool called 'ludbfix' on the database to fix problems like that.
    However Symantec Support are advising me that this tool is no longer available.
    Does anyone here have a copy of it, or know how to run it on an MR2 system?
    I noticed that the DBVALIDATOR.BAT file seems to run 'ludbfix', or a function of it, but it only reports errors and doesn't fix anything.
    I did tinker with a copy of this batch file, to see if I could make it run in 'fix' mode, but unsuccessfully.
    Any assistance or information greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: SEPM v11.0.2000 MR2 ... is it possible to run 'ludbfix'?

Posted Jun 03, 2009 08:13 AM
    Well there is a similiar tool/process to shrink the database that might be able to restore some of those links but I don't know for sure.

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/64ab2040ab6d71a7882573fc0000f8a2?OpenDocument

• 3.  RE: SEPM v11.0.2000 MR2 ... is it possible to run 'ludbfix'?

Posted Jun 03, 2009 08:12 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion Shaun, however my understanding of the 'dbunload' process is that it works on rebuilding all the tables/indexes in the database and recovering lost disk space in the process ... but it doesn't interact with the actual data in anything other than a physical sense (i.e. it interacts physically, such as where the records are located, moving them around, eliminating unnecessary disk space used, etc; but it does not interact logically, such as determining whether the actual data content in tables/columns is coherent, such as file IDs really pointing to files that exist, and that sort of thing).  My understanding of 'ludbfix' is that it was Symantec's attempt to produce a validation process for the logical content of the database, whereas 'dbunload' is a Sybase tool for databases generally.

• 4.  RE: SEPM v11.0.2000 MR2 ... is it possible to run 'ludbfix'?

Posted Jun 04, 2009 03:11 PM
    Dbvalidator only validates if your Embedded database if working or corrputed it wont fix anything .As far Ludbfix.I think I saw it in the Symantec ftp long time back but i cant find it there anymore. But i am not sure if Ludbfix can fix database issue.If you have borken links in embedded database or if its corrupt there are only two things to fix it.
    1.Sybase Central and sybase tools
    2.Re-install SEPM.

• 5.  RE: SEPM v11.0.2000 MR2 ... is it possible to run 'ludbfix'?
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 29, 2009 09:02 PM
    Symantec don't seem to distribute LUDBFIX any longer, but someone was kind enough to send me a copy of LUDBFIX from a previous support incident of theirs.  In examining the file, and comparing it with the DBVALIDATOR tool, I noticed that both of these seem to use the same underlying Java code called 'ludbfix'.

LUDBFIX proper runs LUDBFIX.Main

DBVALIDATOR runs LUDBFIX.XMLValidator

At least, on SEPM v11 MR2 this is the case.  I experimented and made a copy of the DBVALIDATOR batch file in the Tools directory, and I called it LUDBFIX.BAT and edited it to replace the call to "XMLValidator" with a call to "Main".

When I ran it, it indeed seemed to run LUDBFIX and it put a file in the \Log directory named something like LUDBFIX.LOG (not sure now of the exact name).

This is obviously a hack of what Symantec intended.  It may be dangerous.  It may damage your database (although it didn't seem to damage mine on my MR2 installation when I tried it).  So I cannot recommend that anyone try it ...

UNLESS ...

you are desperate.  I was, as I had a corrupted database and was trying everything I could to try to fix it, because the alternative was to reinstall.  So maybe, as a last resort, this may help someone.

Incidentally, even though this didn't fix my problems with the database, I found a solution later by installing MR4 and then MR4 MP2 over the top of my MR2 installation.  This seemed to fix my database corruption issues.  So perhaps this is the best path to follow, rather than hacking Symantec's database validation tools!