Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Server 2008 Shares Still Unusable after upgrade to MR4 MP2

Posted May 27, 2009 04:55 PM
    I've been impatiently waiting for MP2 to supposedly fix the Server 2008 64 bit share issue.   Windows 2008 x64 share connectivity problems was supposed to be fixed per the release notes:

Fix ID: 1442447
    Symptom: After a period of time (hours to a day or so) file shares become unresponsive on Windows 2008 x64.
    Solution: Auto-Protect update.

I upgraded and the issue return within an hour of having SEP installed.  Once again, I've uninstalled it so I can use the server.

Has this fixed anyone else's issue?  I've downloaded a free trial from NOD32 to be able to stay protected for now, if Symantec doesn't get this resolved shortly, we will have to switch.

• 2.  RE: Server 2008 Shares Still Unusable after upgrade to MR4 MP2

Posted May 27, 2009 06:03 PM
    There are 2 seperate, yet similar issues in play here.

Before getting into those, what components are you using?

I would say, that just about the only thing you could run properly on this server would be, AV.

NTP and most of the other components either do not work with Server OS and the difference doesn't work with 64 bit OS.  So you could imagine that in 64Bit Server OS... 

Have you tried, only installing the AV component on the server and monitoring from there, wether or not the issues persist?

• 3.  RE: Server 2008 Shares Still Unusable after upgrade to MR4 MP2

Posted May 27, 2009 09:49 PM
    Yes, I have tried only installing the AV component.  The issues still persist.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Server 2008 Shares Still Unusable after upgrade to MR4 MP2

Posted Jun 02, 2009 12:52 AM
    I'm also having the same problem in Windows 2008 to shares, but my system is with SP2.

The solution was to leave only the functionality of Antivirus and Antispyware in Windows Server 2008 SP2.

Tomorrow, I contact Symantec via TAPP.

Thanks, 

• 5.  RE: Server 2008 Shares Still Unusable after upgrade to MR4 MP2

Posted Jun 15, 2009 10:13 AM
    I have just installed mr4-mp2 and same problem as before. The issues should be fixed but it seems that they are not.
    I had the problem with previous versions. I installed that one but after 1-2 hours  users loose network connections.
    THe problem is that is live servers and I cannot just having sep  'on' for the sake of troubleshooting.
    it is sbs 2k8 with sp1 only (3 servers in total on different site) with only AV and spyware options

andre

• 6.  RE: Server 2008 Shares Still Unusable after upgrade to MR4 MP2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 15, 2009 04:58 PM
    This issue was corrected in MR4 MP2. If the particular issue you are facing was not corrected by this fix then you should open up a case with Symantec Technical Support so that we can investigate.

Please also review this document as it may apply to your situation:

Title: 'Windows Server 2008 connectivity issues with Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 installed.'
    Document ID: 2009050613531348
    > Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2009050613531348?Open&seg=ent

https://mysupport.symantec.com/

-or-

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

Hope that helps!

• 7.  RE: Server 2008 Shares Still Unusable after upgrade to MR4 MP2

Posted Jun 15, 2009 05:15 PM

Andre,

I finally have gotten it to work for me the way it should.  I had the same trouble of not having a test environment and only a live server.  I'm not sure that I have any great revelation for you, but this was my final attempt before dumping Symantec all together and it worked.  It was the same steps I tried originally when MR4 MP2 came out, but this time it worked.  Maybe there was some fix to the virus definitions in the last few weeks that were blocking something.  I did an uninstall a free trial of NOD32 I was evaluating, made sure to reboot, pushed out the client once the server was back up, updated to the latest virus definitions and rebooted again, even though not prompted to.  I've been running fine for over a week now.  I've been screwing with this for over a month now, the amount of wasted time is unbelievable.

Good luck!

• 8.  RE: Server 2008 Shares Still Unusable after upgrade to MR4 MP2

Posted Oct 26, 2009 04:47 PM
    We are experiencing the same issue described in the article provided above by David_Z.  We are running Server 2008 sp2.  According to Microsoft sp2 included the fix from KB 961775.  This has lead to user authentication failures to our DFS shares and Sysvol replication failures to our DC's. Users end up losing their mapped drives and the DC's have to be rebooted to clear the problem.  MS support suggested upgrading to the latest Symantec Endpoint client 11.5 which we did but the problem reocurred.  This forced us to remove the Symantec client from the affected Servers.  At this point unless a solution is immediately forthcoming we are likely to be switching products.  Its a shame because we have used Symantec AV for years.  Unfortunately we cannot afford to have our main production systems offline for a lengthly troubleshooting session with support.  :(.

• 9.  RE: Server 2008 Shares Still Unusable after upgrade to MR4 MP2
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 26, 2009 05:09 PM
     Upgrade to MR5 11.0.5002.333 that is available now.It should fix your issue.

Un-install Older version and then install MR5.

• 10.  RE: Server 2008 Shares Still Unusable after upgrade to MR4 MP2

Posted Oct 26, 2009 10:32 PM
    But try it without NTP first to be sure its not because of NTP