Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Server 2008 WDS and Ghostcast

Posted Oct 28, 2010 12:42 PM

Hello,

What I want to do is use the PXE capabilities of WDS to boot systems. I do not want WDS to create computer objects in Active Driectory. Following guidance in the forums and technical articles I have built a cutom boot image. I modified the boot image so that it launches ghost and connects to a session that I have aready configured on the server hosting Ghost. I added this image to the WDS server and mad it the default boot image.

This is what I have

1 server (2003) with the Ghost console installed. AKA Ghost Server

1 server (2003) running DHCP

1 new server (2008) with WDS. AKA Pain in the Butt 

I configured WDS and added the scope options to DHCP. I can PXE boot but it halts wanting an administrator to approve the connection. I get an "Access Denied" message when I try to approve it. From what I have read this often centers on the inability of the server account to create computer objects in AD. That is kinda ok I guess because I don't want it to.

Using the PXE solution that we are currently running this isn't a requirement. We do not auto join systems to the domain due to some GPOs that have an adverse effect on Vista which are applied to the OU where computers join by default. So we join them after the tech prestages the computer name. Also, we load standalone systems so the auto join behavior isn't needed.

What I am trying to understand is how if possible to get the same behavior out of WDS. Basically do not create an AD computer object. Just provide the PXE boot / IP Assignment so that I can do the following:

PXE -----to----> Cutom Boot Image in WDS containing the command line to connect to an established session on the ghost server = happy boss

If anyone has any ideas on this please share.

• 2.  RE: Server 2008 WDS and Ghostcast

Posted Mar 31, 2011 01:42 PM

Unfortunitly it can't be done.  Part of the security of the Microsoft tool is that you will be creating and allowing accounts to be be used.   You could work with 3com pxe and a TFTP environment like Solar winds or TFTPD32.   This may not live up to the security standards that you have in place but it would get the job done with out the account needing to be created.

Cheers.