Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Server sizing for 200000 endpoints

Posted Oct 25, 2010 11:01 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a requirement to set up 200,000 endpoints dispersed around 1000 or so locations. I know for a fact that the embedded database is good enough to handle 5,000 endpoints while the SQL database is good enough for 50,000. But then you can even have GUP for smaller sites.

Now what I'm thinking off is to set up about 5 SEP sites (SEPM and SQL DB) as replication partners. These servers would be only at the main site, while each remote site will have a GUP of it's own. Would that cater to my 200,000 users?

Another question in mind is, with GUPs in place, does that take the load off the SEPM servers and I can size my servers for a smaller number. or do I still need to size my SEPM servers for the total number of endpoints?

Appreciate the input.

• 2.  RE: Server sizing for 200000 endpoints
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 25, 2010 11:05 AM

Gup will take  care of only your virus defs distrubution but to receive logs and process info; manager should be scaled.

• 3.  RE: Server sizing for 200000 endpoints

Posted Oct 25, 2010 11:18 AM

These might be helpful for you

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/sql-database-schema-information-and-database-planning-symantec-endpoint-protection-manager

GUP will be very help in this case however make sure you do not overload the GUP..About 100 to 200 clients would be perfect for 1 GUP.

• 4.  RE: Server sizing for 200000 endpoints

Posted Oct 25, 2010 11:22 AM

Wow, and than there's distribution method.

If you have for example, (don't laugh) dual ISDN lines going to a remote site with 100 or so nodes...  You are going to clog that pipe for a while, during the initial distribution of your packages to your endpoints.

As Rafeeq stated GUP will only hand out Virus Defionitions and the like. 

Updates to the Software, I.E.  RU7 and o forth, for fixes and Maintenance releases would in that case need to go from the Main SEPMs (5 in your case) to over 1000 locations.  Although, you could work out a system for delivery to different locations, based on groups and the like, it will be a large endeavour. 

I think your best bet would be to contact Symantec and they could work out an architecture for you to meet your demands.

• 5.  RE: Server sizing for 200000 endpoints

Posted Oct 25, 2010 11:50 AM

Hi,

You can use pushDeployment wizard exe available in the DVD to deploy the clients on remote site..

For it you need to create SEP package and copy it to local system of that location.

Now log in to the system with domain admin or with user who have installation rights for all PCs and deploy software locally..

• 6.  RE: Server sizing for 200000 endpoints

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 25, 2010 12:03 PM

Now what I'm thinking off is to set up about 5 SEP sites (SEPM and SQL DB) as replication partners. These servers would be only at the main site, while each remote site will have a GUP of it's own. Would that cater to my 200,000 users?

yes, 10 SEPM's ( 5 sites, i.e 2 SEPM at each location as a load balancing) would be good idea as far my knowledge. set the client in Pull mode.

Another question in mind is, with GUPs in place, does that take the load off the SEPM servers and I can size my servers for a smaller number. or do I still need to size my SEPM servers for the total number of endpoints? 

installing GUP is the best solution. as it takes load from SEPM for virus distribution.

• 7.  RE: Server sizing for 200000 endpoints

Posted Oct 25, 2010 12:15 PM

Thanks guys for all the input. That was quite fast.

Thanks Rafeeq, just what i was thinking, that GUP is meant only for virus def updates.

Vikram, I must say, those spreadsheets are awesome. I did a rough quick calc, and found that my DB size would be... GULP.... 4.8TB!!! Regarding GUP, yeah, each site is going to be less around 100-150 users.

Jason, as for distribution, it's going to be one tough task. But that I'm planning to go on site by site basis. As for future upgrades, that too would need to be scheduled again on a site by site basis. nothing else can be done about that.

Now about using 5 SEP sites, when I say sites, I mean the SEPM with SQL DB on the same server. So a total of 5 servers, but all at the head office, as replication partners. Now how would the clients be distributed? Need to create a VM environment to check on this, because I dont want to be manually splitting 50000 users on each server. The idea is I just keep adding and they load balance across all the 5 servers. I know there is a load balance option, but that's with ONE DB. Looking at the number of endpoints, one DB won't support that many.

• 8.  RE: Server sizing for 200000 endpoints

Posted Oct 25, 2010 12:25 PM

LOL...well if its SQL then it wont go that mad..However I guess it might go upto 20GB