Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

SFHA Solutions 6.0.1: Managing SCSI-3 disk registrations and reservations using the vxfenadm utility and the vxfenclearpre utility

Created: 24 Jan 2013 • Updated: 24 Jan 2013
Liz Semmelmeyer's picture

You can use the vxfenadm utility to troubleshoot and test SCSI-3 disk registrations and I/O fencing reservations. The vxfenadm utility also displays information about I/O fencing operations.

For information on the vxfenadm utility for managing SCSI-3 disk registrations and I/O fencing reservations, see:

Typically, you use the vxfenadm –d command to verify that the cluster is running with disk-based or server-based I/O fencing set up when you perform the following tasks:

You can use the vxfenclearpre utility to unregister SCSI-3 registrations and release disk reservations.

You need to clear registrations on coordinator disks using the vxfenclearpre utility in the following cases:

• A potential split-brain condition (with disk-based fencing configured).
  • A cluster does not use a unique set of coordinator disks.

For information on using the vxfenclearpre utility to unregister SCSI-3 registrations and release disk reservations, see:

The following Symantec Connect article provides a use case for troubleshooting SCSI-3 registrations:

Checking SCSI3 compatibility for fencing coordinator disks

vxfenadm (1M) 6.0.1 manual pages:

vxfenclearpre (1M) 6.0.1 manual pages:

Veritas Cluster Server documentation for other releases and platforms can be found on the SORT website.