Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  SGSS 2.5 completely breaks when auto-applying 2.5.1 update

Posted Jan 13, 2010 10:34 AM
    Starting on January 6th, all of our SGSS clients started reporting "Trying to locate servername". I found that the Ghost Console would no longer open and reported that the database was not running. I checked services.msc and the Symantec Ghost services had disappeared. I ran a repair install, it asked me to reboot. Once done, Symantec Ghost reported "This product is not installed."

So yesterday I performed a fresh install on the server and everything started working again (minus all of the jobs and image history, those were missing and needed to be recreated). Then at 4:30PM it attempted to auto-update again and broke itself (missing services and all).

What can we do to get this fixed and working?

• 2.  RE: SGSS 2.5 completely breaks when auto-applying 2.5.1 update

Posted Jan 13, 2010 03:11 PM
    my update is that the console will no longer run at all, it just hangs.
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/ghost-console-fails-launch
    It is unfortunate that there have been no comments from a Symantec employee, even though there are a couple threads about issues.
    I am afraid that my database file was corrupted.  I can reinstall and get the console to open, but when i insert that .db file into the db folder, the console no longer works.  I have tried a couple of couples of varying ages, but no luck.  Is the database file tied in some way to version?

• 3.  RE: SGSS 2.5 completely breaks when auto-applying 2.5.1 update

Posted Jan 15, 2010 10:45 AM
    Anyone have any ideas? I think the reply to my message was trying to post a new topic...

Should I disable LiveUpdate for Ghost? We do not have Win7/2008 in this network yet, but definitely will in the next couple of months. 

• 4.  RE: SGSS 2.5 completely breaks when auto-applying 2.5.1 update

Posted Jan 18, 2010 03:58 AM
    Same problem here.
    Auto Update broke the installation.
    I'm trying to restore it now.

Will disable LiveUpdate until there is a proper fix... :)

/Michel

• 5.  RE: SGSS 2.5 completely breaks when auto-applying 2.5.1 update

Posted Jan 20, 2010 09:07 AM
    Sadly I do not have the option. We have SEP11 on the same server and it requires LiveUpdate. Do you know of a way to disable LiveUpdate for Symantec Ghost?

• 6.  RE: SGSS 2.5 completely breaks when auto-applying 2.5.1 update

Posted Jan 20, 2010 09:54 AM
    I think you can "uncheck" the ghost product in liveupdate admin

• 7.  RE: SGSS 2.5 completely breaks when auto-applying 2.5.1 update

Posted Jan 20, 2010 10:03 AM
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/gss-25-upgrade-failed

Found this article from over a year ago. Looked in my DB folder and found the .cpy file from Jan 6 (the date of the patch release/installation corruption). This is the reason every repair install/attempt to update again has failed. Since my database was already hosed, I decided to move that file as well as do a complete uninstall/reinstall.

My installation is now updated and appears to be working. Poor job of documenting, Symantec... issues like this should be posted in more obvious places/knowledgebases.