Deployment Solution

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Simple Question: Can Deployment Server/Console run in Hyper V instance of Server 2008 R2?

• 1.  Simple Question: Can Deployment Server/Console run in Hyper V instance of Server 2008 R2?

Posted Feb 09, 2010 07:36 PM
    Hi All,

Hopefully this is a simple question; the subject line pretty much says it all. 

Can you run the Deployment Server/Console on Server 2008 R2?  I know that is supported for imaging, but I want to know if it is supported as the host OS for the deployment server itself.  Also, is it supported running it in a VM?  Our DS recently went down (running on a server 2003 R2 SP2 box, DS 6.9 SP1 MP1) and we would like to setup a new box with 6.9 SP3 running in an Server 2008 R2 Hyper V instance
    Well it won't be a COMPLETELY new installation, ideally we'd like to connect it back up to the DS database (hosted on an external SQL server).  Connecting it to the database will mean we're doing a new installation/upgrade at the same time but with the old server 2003 R2 SP2 box completely down we don't have many other good options.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Simple Question: Can Deployment Server/Console run in Hyper V instance of Server 2008 R2?

Posted Feb 10, 2010 09:26 PM
    Hi,

Yes Deployment Solution 6.9 SPx Windows Server 2008 is supported as a host operating system, however Deployment Solution 7.0 is NOT yet supported on Windows Server 2008 (although this is in the pipeline apparently).

Deployment Solution 6.9 Supported Platforms and System Requirements: https://kb.altiris.com/display/1/kb/articleContent.asp?aid=44067&n=&s=&link=#

Running in a Virtual instance shouldn't present any problems so long as the appropriate resources are specified. I think Symantec's official line is virtualisation is supported although not for larger organisations (greater than 5000 seats..) as dedicated hardware should be used in these cases..

Hope this helps.

• 3.  RE: Simple Question: Can Deployment Server/Console run in Hyper V instance of Server 2008 R2?

Posted Feb 14, 2010 03:31 PM
    Typically Symantec will support ESX.  I haven't seen them supporting Hyper-V and other types, except for best effort.  Doesn't mean it won't work; just means if you open a support ticket and it narrows down to virtualization, they won't support you.

Installing the Symantec Management Platform on VMware
    https://kb.altiris.com/display/1/kb/article.asp?aid=45258