Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Sizing DB on SEP 12.1

• 1.  Sizing DB on SEP 12.1

Posted Sep 07, 2011 12:57 PM

Hi everyboy in SEP 11 we got an excel file calculate the size of the DB.

We have any similar in SEP12.1?

Im going to use SQL 2008

thanks

Juan Pablo

• 2.  RE: Sizing DB on SEP 12.1

Posted Sep 07, 2011 04:20 PM

I have an excel file that is supposed to calculate DB size, but I have found it to be wildly inaccurate. I think perhaps posting your parameters here that you are expecting to use will get you a more accurate answer from those who may have a similar setup in their environment.

• 3.  RE: Sizing DB on SEP 12.1

Posted Sep 08, 2011 02:38 PM

The Excel hasnt changed, it should be able to give you relatively accurate results for SEP12 too.  You may want to increase the size of the content packages (they were quite small when the sheet was originally done) but if you have a lot of logs, they wont make much difference to the sizing.

Cary, can you post your parameters and your current database size?  Most customers who have used the excel find it to be pretty accurate.  It may be the settings you used to calculate werent quite right?

• 4.  RE: Sizing DB on SEP 12.1

Posted Sep 12, 2011 12:45 PM

Hi Paul,

Would it be possible to post a copy of the Excel file or let me know where it can be obtained from?  I would like to play with the different settings to plan out some changes in our network.

Thanks,

Richard

• 5.  RE: Sizing DB on SEP 12.1

Posted Sep 13, 2011 05:33 PM
      |   view attached

Hi this is execel whit us work but the data base is  enormus

...  The docmument  sep sing and scability recommendations v.2.3 present the following examples:

Clients:17.000

An avaritage 15,000 Viruses over 60 days 12.9 MB

Retain 20,000 Events for each Log 722MB

Retain Five Version of each Symantes Protection Client(32\64 bits) 2400 MB

Retain seven Backup's 300 MB

TOTAL DATABASE SIZE= 4.80 GB*

In the exel Data base is 90 GB

• 6.  RE: Sizing DB on SEP 12.1

Posted Sep 13, 2011 07:19 PM

Below is a KB article for SEP 11 sizing and scalability white paper. These best practices should also apply to 12.1. If you follow this you should be able to keep the database size very manageable.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH123242

• 7.  RE: Sizing DB on SEP 12.1

Posted Sep 14, 2011 02:39 AM

So the reason for the difference is that the sizing spreadsheet you attached is sizing everything based on DAYS of data.  The example you provided from the document, sizes most items based on ROWS or EVENTS.

You can change the sizing spreadsheet to rows simply by clicking the dropdown and choosing ROWS rather than DAYS.  Once you do that, you will be much closer.  The numbers in the sizing guide are actually a little higher than you would expect. the numbers in the excel sheet have been calculated based on data from customers databases, but nothing will ever be perfect.

The spreadsheet sizes using DAYS because thats generally what customers ask for, rather than rows.  In the SEPM log retention criteria, whichever value is met first is what will be used (eg 50,000 events or 60 days) - in general with the defaults enabled, the event count will be met long before the day count.

• 8.  RE: Sizing DB on SEP 12.1

Posted Sep 21, 2011 06:15 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Paul,I work with Juan Pablo in relation to the work of sizing the database and we have used the calculator as a reference, but so also based on the current number of the facility that are going to change that is about 8 GB for which we used this as a parameter, but we changed the metric data calculator based on the document Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 - Architecture, Sizing, and Performance Recommendations V 2.3, but only get to have reached 5.95 GB which is well below the current number so our concern about not having a real rough a little more to justify the hard disk space,I attached the calculator used in, and please let us check the data and give us your recommendations.

Thanks.

• 9.  RE: Sizing DB on SEP 12.1

Posted Nov 15, 2011 05:37 AM

Hi all.

With regard to the considerations that should be proportioned to RAM and CPU to a separate SQL server. I mean, that does not have the SEPM.

That data from Symantec Endpoint Protection Database Sizing and I consider how I can calculate these hardware resources?

Total Thanks!

• 10.  RE: Sizing DB on SEP 12.1

Posted Nov 16, 2011 04:48 AM

Hi Esteban_E,

Can you plz let me know the how many users are there.

We have near about 40K users with 4 SEPMs

10K per server.

HW box is HP DL380G5 with 16 GB RAM

SQL is on another Box with same configuration.

• 11.  RE: Sizing DB on SEP 12.1

Posted Nov 17, 2011 10:36 PM
      |   view attached

This would be the environment ...

I think with this setup would be covered:

2 SEP Manager, with 4GB RAM, 500GB SAS, running on Windows 2008 R2.
    1 SQL Server STD, with 16GB RAM, 1TB SAS, running on Windows 2008 R2.

They shape the SEP environment load balancing, database sharing both managers.

In total would be 2000 hosts, distributed is 1000 in SEPM and the other 1000 in SEPM.

The rate of growth over the next 3 years, would amount to 5000 nodes.

With Backup Exec 2010 be made backups of SQL Server. yes

In short, would be what the picture shows.

Any recommendations? My opinion is that it should work without problems .. no? blush