Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Slow to backup Exchange 2010

Created: 29 Aug 2013 • Updated: 30 Aug 2013 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Since I updated Backup Exec 2012 SP1 to SP2, its a lot slower to backup my Exchange 2010 SP3 server. Speed was arround 4800 MB/min and it's now at 650 MB/min.

It tried to uninstall/reinstall the agent on my Exchange server, rebooting the server and delete/redo my backup job but it didn't solve the issue.

Backup Exec 2012 SP2 on Windows Server 2008 R2

Exchange 2010 SP3 on Windows Server 2008 R2

Backing up on a IBM TS3100 tape library unit. Drive clean. Never had any issue with this unit.

I'm only performing full backup of my information store using GRT.

Other servers are still at the same speed after installing SP2 and updating agent.

Any idea?

Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jaydeep S's picture

If this was specific to post SP2 installation, it is better to open a support case and have this investigated.

Have you tried to perform a Non GRT backup of Exchange and see if that is any faster. This would help in isolation.

Sangcoeur's picture

I just tried a Non GRT backup and it's still at 650 MB/min.

Sangcoeur's picture

Tried a Non GRT backup on disk and it doesn't help. Still at 650 MB/min.

Sangcoeur's picture

Problem solved.

It was a network connectivity issue with my vSphere 5 host server. The problem should had appeared on my Exchange 2010 Server (VMware virtual machine) when I rebooted the server after updating the agent.

SOLUTION
Donald Eady's picture

have you tried to back up flat files at all? if not please choose and backup a small folder on the server and verify the job rate speeds. 

As mentioned by Jaydeep earlier... if you believe this to be related to SP2 you should open a formal support case so that it can be troubleshot and documented 

I hope this posting was helpful