Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

Slow Backups on Windows 2008 R2

Created: 21 Mar 2013 • Updated: 21 Mar 2013 | 2 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello all,

I have a file server with around 150GB of stuff on it that I back up to tape every night using Backup Exec 2010 R3. The server is a Windows 2008 R2 Standard that is a guest machine on an ESX 5.1 host and the files are located on a 3-disk RAID 5 array and the array is on a P2000 FC SAN stuffed with 300GB 15k disks.

I mostly get backup speeds of 700Mb a minute (which is awful), but sometimes I get an even more pitiful 450Mb per minute. Very rarely, however, it works properly and proceeds at a more respectable 5,000Mb per minute.

I have tried all the obvious things like anti-virus, firewall settings, reinstalling the agent, uninstalling VMware tools, etc, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can achieve a consistent, fast speed?

Many thanks

Brian

Operating Systems:

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

As long as it isn't an AVVI backup you're OK because vSphere 5.1 isn't supported yet. If it IS an AVVI backup, you need to wait for the Beta which starts in May 2013 in order to get the support resolved. In which case you might have to make do with slow backups till then!

So, with it being a RAWS backup, have you made sure you have enough disk space in your data store for any snapshots that might be taken? Are the backups that run fast perhaps running out of any sort of maintenance window?

THanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

bnfcorbett's picture

It is indeed RAWS, and I am running and after two hours of fiddling I seem to have fixed it.

I disabled IP6 on the target server and now I am get 6GB a minute.

Thanks for your help!

SOLUTION