Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Slow (or failed) population of policy list in gui after upgrade to 7.5.0.4

Created: 09 Feb 2013 | 4 comments
klp's picture

**** Moved to new discussion from https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/after-upgrade-nb-655-7501-policies-listing-console-slow ****

We also have same issue of slow (or failed) population of policy list in gui after upgrade to 7.5.0.4.  Similar behaviour in 2 different environments at 7.5.0.4. 

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

susindran.suruli's picture

Klp,

Please go and delete decommisoned policy and servers from the active policy list...Then do the cach cleanup.Your issue will be resolve 70% slowness..

Marianne's picture

I am curious to know what 'cach cleanup' is?

I have alo seen slow or hanging GUI after an upgrade when non-policy files existed in the ...netbackup/db/class folder on the master server, e.g. where someone did a long listing of this folder and saved output to policies.out in the class folder. 

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

klp's picture

I also did not know what was meant by cache cleanup.

Comparing detail output from these 2 (without pipe to wc) showed no "extra" entries.

# ls -l /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class | wc -l
# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bppllist -allpolicies | grep "^CLASS" | wc -l

I attributed the difference of 1 to the counter that lists at the top.  However the value of the "Total" has me confused, since only 104 entries are listed by the command.

# pwd
/opt/openv/netbackup/db/class
# ls -l
total 214

Andy Welburn's picture

I attributed the difference of 1 to the counter that lists at the top.

Probably. Use "ls | wc -l" just to list & count the contents - no 'total' line in that one!

However the value of the "Total" has me confused, since only 104 entries are listed by the command.

It's the 'total number of blocks, including indirect blocks, for each entry' in the output. Don't ask me to explain that, it's what it says in the man page for 'ls' ...... just check by running ls -s or ls -ls (or: ls -as or ls -als) & adding up the values.

***EDIT***

As far as your actual issue is concerned all I can think of is to check for *any* decommissioned media servers or non-existant clients from *any* location in NB e.g. within master server properties client attribute, server (~bp.conf) & firewall lists/areas.

Try nbemmcmd -listhosts to see if anything's there that shouldn't be?

You also mention that sometimes the expansion of the policy list fails - do you get an error in these cases? If so, what?