Video Screencast Help

Slow performance with SMP 7.1.6851

Created: 29 Nov 2011 | 10 comments

I have just installed server management suite 7.1.6851 and found that the console is very slow to response.  I am current using the following solutions (patch management, inventory solution, software delivery) I am testing the patch management and found moving around the console being very slow. I currently have 5 VM machines reporting into notification server. I plan on adding 1500+ clients to the notifcation server.  The notification server is running on VWindows 2008 R2 vitual machine with 6GB RAM, 2 CPU. The database instance is sitting on a phyiscal hardware.   Any ideas?

Comments 10 CommentsJump to latest comment

andykn101's picture

Are other programs slow, like Task Manager.

Authorised Symantec Consultant (ASC) with Endpoint Management Limited, an Authorised Symantec Delivery Provider based in the UK.

Connect Etiquette: Please "Mark as Solution" posts that fix your problem.

mclemson's picture

What speed disk is this sitting on?  Have you calculated IOPS?  Altiris is very disk dependent.

Are there any errors in the Altiris Log Viewer?  What does memory look like in process explorer/task manager for things like IIS (w3wp.exe)?

Mike Clemson, Senior Systems Engineer, ASC
Intuitive Technology Group -- Symantec Platinum Partner
intuitivetech.com

Erik Ångman's picture

What version of Internet Explorer are you running the console in?

Generally speaking, common causes of slow performance are low memory allocation, or a very large incident or event database.

If you find that this solves your problem please mark it as the solution!

Erik Ångman, Information developer
Symantec Endpoint Management Group

gwoodman's picture

The disk is sitting on NetApps storage. I am working with my VM team on finding out hte IPOS. the w3wp.exe memory is running around 520K and AeXSvc.exe is at 1 MB. My last test of deploying two patches. The w3wp.exe was running at around 96 to 100% CPU. The version of IE is 8.

jpellet2's picture

I am experiencing similar slowness. Our NS is running on VMWare with the SQL server being off-box and its disk being on a netapp. We did calculate an average of 400 iops being pushed through to the SQL server. Our NS has 8 processor cores and 16 GB of RAM. The server itself is running only about 20% on average with memory sitting only around 25% total. It takes minutes, not seconds, to load even the right-click menu in the console and we've tried in IE8 and IE9. I've even already separated out the IIS processes into different app pools to see if that would help. 

Matt Damon's picture

I have a question that's somewhat related to this and wasn't sure if I should open a new topic or not.

We're looking to build a new VM server for ITMS 7.1 and we can't decide if we want to build it locally or have it housed at our data center off site. So my question would be, to those of you experiencing slow load times on the console are you guys managing via the console from a site located elsewhere than your servers over a WAN?

That is my main concern about not having the NS located where we are, the guy who worked here before me tried that with 7.0 and they said it ran excruciatingly slow.

That "other" Matt Damon.

mclemson's picture

7.0 was just slow, and there could have been any number of reasons for it.  I have worked on plenty of horrible servers that are located near the clients or far away in a data center, but the speed issues almost always have to do with configuration and not hardware or replacement.  For example, creating a location for every cubicle at every building in the entire company, then allowing those locations to populate Organizational Views for Users by Location, Contracts by Location, and Assets by Location. Even though none of the views are used, each click requires the NS to check 30,000-50,000 security objects at least once.

All that being said, place the NS near your SQL server, and don't worry about placement of clients since you can place site servers near your clients.

intuitivetech.com

andykn101's picture

I'm working for two separate clients with NSs in a remote Data Centre and both work fine. There's no real difference between a console in the office many miles from the DC and one using RDP directly on the server.

Authorised Symantec Consultant (ASC) with Endpoint Management Limited, an Authorised Symantec Delivery Provider based in the UK.

Connect Etiquette: Please "Mark as Solution" posts that fix your problem.

Matt Damon's picture

EDIT: Think my question has been clarified. Thanks guys!

That "other" Matt Damon.

mclemson's picture

You would have slower load times for the heavier pages, but I wouldn't imagine it would be a large impact.  A bigger impact would be that any administrator uploading software resources to the Software Library from a local workstation across the WAN to the NS would have increased upload times.

intuitivetech.com