Slow rehydration speed after upgrading to 220.127.116.11
In the previous week I upgrade my installation and a customer’s one from 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124
After two days the customer starts to complain that the rehydration to tapes was not finish on time. I checked my installation and I realize that the same problem occurred as well.
I revert both installations to 7.5.4 and the rehydration speed is now normal.
I want to see if there are other installation having the same problem.
Unfortunately we cannot afford the time to investigate it with Symantec, and posting this to the forum is the best I can at this moment.