Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

SMC.EXE Application Error

Created: 20 Aug 2009 • Updated: 23 May 2010 | 3 comments

I am using Symantec Endpoint Protection V11 MR4 MP2 (Including client). SEPM is installed in Windows 2003. All client is WinXP.

Today two clients in a testing group suddenly popped out the error message "SMC.EXE Application Error: The exception unknown software exception (0x000000d) occurred in the application at location 0x78142331." Before this happened, I just modify the application and Device control policy. I removed the rule "Block application from running" because we need to use CD/DVD burner software. Then the error happened. I cannot open any software from MS office including Outlook. The error message keep pooping out. You cannot stop it. The SEP icon  on task bar disappeared. Finally, I have to remove SEP, the the error message stopped and my MS O office came back.

I don't why I removed one rule from Application and Device Control policy. It will caused so big problem. The lucky thing there is only two IT pc in that group. Is there any solution for the error except removing SEP? The current version is still kind of dangerous.

Thanks
Fangtung

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jeremy Dundon's picture

If the policy was somehow corrupted when you removed the rule that you removed then SMC.exe could have exactly the behavior you described.

As to how/why the policy could get corrupted the only thing that comes to mind would be changing the policy via (non-console) RDP into the SEPM instead of using the Java Remote Console.

kavin's picture

I hope your client is also on MR4 MP2 version.:)

Next time if you get the same problem. Try to stop the Smc service by typing "smc -stop" in the run prompt. & see if this helps.

Fangtung's picture

Kavin,
My client also is MR4 MP2. After this error happened, I have tried "smc -stop" command. But it did not work. For my another pc, I have tried to stop all Symantec service and then reboot, the error message stopped. I should try to repair the client from contorl panel. But I just go to remove it for the fastest way to fix this issue.

Jeremy,
I changed policy by console in the server. I didnot use remote console.