Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  SMG 10.5 - Auto Whitelist?

Posted Oct 20, 2014 02:01 PM

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.  I am new to SMG, and am attempting to implement a solution I've used in the past with GFI called "auto whitelist".  Basically when a internal user sends an email to a customer, I would like the recipients address automatically added to the whitelist so that replies are not subject to scanning.  GFI allows the automatic creation of these lists for a certain number of addresses, then overwrites after that limit is reached. 

Is there a similar functionality in SMG?

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: SMG 10.5 - Auto Whitelist?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 20, 2014 02:19 PM

No, there is no reason to do this. We do not have all of the false positives that GFI has, so there is no need to have enormous whitelists of every email address of every person your customers emailed at some point

This is also a dangerous practice becuase many people your users know can get attacked and have their address book harvested. With that user whitelisted, it is an open door right into your mail server. Spammers look for behavior like that and exploit it regularly.

• 3.  RE: SMG 10.5 - Auto Whitelist?

Posted Oct 20, 2014 03:18 PM

Thank you for your reply.  How does this address the issue?  I have a user who sent an email marketing blast containing a phrase in the body that was prohibited by our inbound content fliters.  The email was delivered to the customers, and all the repsonses deleted. What mechanism is provided to address this issue?

The email addresses in question, at least in GFI terms, are not saved forever, but are kept until a certain threshold is reached (say 50,000 addresses).  Then they are overwritten. Which is usually enough time to allow for repllies before the addresses are removed from the list.

I understand the dangers of this approach.  But at the end of the day it becomes more important that my users are receiving replies from customers.  I understand Symatnec Messaging Gateway is a superior product.  That's why we chose to use it.  I'm looking for a possible solution to prevent this from happening in the future.  As much as possible. 

Thanks again. 

• 4.  RE: SMG 10.5 - Auto Whitelist?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 20, 2014 04:32 PM

This one of the fundamental differences between us and GFI. We do not scan for spam by 'phrases.' We create signatures for actual spam messages that are seen in the wild so that when they show up at your mail server they are already known to be spam.

If one of your messages is triggered by us as spam, you should modify your strategy for sending these types of messages to make sure that all of the recipients truly want these emails and they all still exist.