SMP 7.1 Physical versus Virtual Performance Metrics
We have been using NS 6.0 and NS 7.0 on a VMware platforms. After migrating from 6.0 to 7.0 we have moved the CMDB to a separate physical server, The Altiris Console performance actually worsen, even though more CPU and RAM was available.
I am reading here and there that the physical server will outperform the virtual by 10-50 %.
In real life I see poor performance by the NS on VMware. Our environment is as follows:
- highly distributed WAN environment with many WAN sites;
- 3000 workstations;
- CMS suite with SW inventory daily, HW inventory weekly, AD import of special user groups hourly; default settings for the agents settings; weekly new SW deployments; bi-weekly patch management deployments; hourly policy updates; daily basic inventory
- separate SQL server - physical;
- separate package and task servers at major sites with 50+ computers;
- the Symantec Management Console is used by 5-10 service desk analyst plus 5-10 reporting users.
What is needed at this point is a documented performance metric comparison between the identical physical vs. virtual environemnt.
Has anybody seen such a thing? How soon can this be created?