Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  SMP 7.6 on Windows Server 2012 R2 - Problem with Task Server

Posted Mar 16, 2015 10:54 AM

Hi,

Has anyone tried yet installing SMP 7.6 on Windows Server 2012 R2? I just wanted to install it on a virtual machine in my lab but I have problems with the task server. The Altiris Host Service is cosuming 1 GB of memory directly which is causing the VM to stop working. With no clients connected to the VM I would be suprised that the service would be using that much of memory. So I guess something is wrong. I have already tried to repair the task server part but this did not help.

Any suggestions?

win2012_taskserver.JPG

• 2.  RE: SMP 7.6 on Windows Server 2012 R2 - Problem with Task Server
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 16, 2015 12:11 PM

Hi Stefan,

After install of ITMS some background tasks will run that will cause big load to ATRSHOST service. Normally, such tasks will complete in 15-20 minutes (maximum), but if RAM and CPU are low then it could take more time. I suggest to assign 4 GB of RAM and 1x2 Cores for your server. And it is better to set max SQL memory usage to 2 GB. 

Thank you,

Alex.

• 3.  RE: SMP 7.6 on Windows Server 2012 R2 - Problem with Task Server

Posted Mar 17, 2015 10:28 AM

It must have been those initial background tasks which made the atrshost service using so much memory. I should have waited a bit longer. I started again with a blank VM and now it looks better but yes I have also added 2 GB memory to start with.

I did an upgrade the same lab vm with a 7.5 environment with 2k8 R2 earlier and there I did not see this behaviour even with 2 GB of memory. So that was my conclusion that something must be wrong on 2012 server...

• 4.  RE: SMP 7.6 on Windows Server 2012 R2 - Problem with Task Server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 19, 2015 04:58 AM

I definitelly have seen this post-install load to atrshost on 2008.R2 also, so I'm almost sure this is not the 2012.R2 specific. It might be that something has been added to the post-install tasks that makes the load more visible.

On implementations with multiple processors and cores and with remote SQL this is not a big issue, but on VMwares with minimal HW settings such load might cause performance troubles for a while.

Thank you,

Alex.