Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
  • 1.  SMP Internet Gateway for Win Server 2012 R2

Posted Jan 29, 2015 11:03 AM

I have the current hotfix updates for the Symantec/Altiris 7.5 SMP platform.  I'm working on migrating our SMP Internet Gateway for the cloud management to a Windows Server 2012 R2 server, but the installer from the NSCap directory does not work.  The error is that the OS must be Server 2008 R2 SP1.  Is there a newer version of SMP Internet Gateway I can use or does anyone know a MSI installer command property I can use to bypass the OS check?

• 2.  RE: SMP Internet Gateway for Win Server 2012 R2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 29, 2015 01:15 PM

Hi,

In 7.5.x / 7.5 SP1.x releases, CEM Gateway is supported only on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 x64 OS

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/has-anyone-tried-installing-cem-internet-gateway-windows-web-server-2008-r2-sp1

Thanks,

IP.

• 3.  RE: SMP Internet Gateway for Win Server 2012 R2

Posted Jan 29, 2015 01:34 PM

That's what I was guessing since I'm on the latest version that it is not "officially" supported yet on Windows 2012 R2.

The concern for the Windows server version in the article you linked to does not apply to us.  Our version of Windows server 2012 R2 is not a "web" version so there is not the concurrent connection limitation.

Does anyone know if there is a msi property to disable the OS check on install so I can install it in an "unsupported" setup until Symantec can release a "supported" version?

• 4.  RE: SMP Internet Gateway for Win Server 2012 R2
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 29, 2015 01:48 PM

Here is the unsupported fix until there is an official release from Symantec.  Use Orca (Free MSI editor) to open the installer MSI.  Go to the LaunchConditions table and drop the row in there.  Save and close.  The installer will work fine now.

• 5.  RE: SMP Internet Gateway for Win Server 2012 R2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 29, 2015 02:16 PM

#1. I meant about officially supported OS |2k8r2 Sp1| but not about Web, DataCenter.

#2. Seems like You can open properties of msi, then try to tick the “Run this program in Compatibility mode for” checkbox, and select the appropriate OS -> try to install it.

But do not forget that if there will be issues, etc, then first root cause will be because of unsupported OS usage for released build, which officially supports only Windows 2008 R2 SP1 x64 Server OS within 7.5.x/7.5 SP1.x releases.

Thanks,

IP.

• 6.  RE: SMP Internet Gateway for Win Server 2012 R2

Posted Jan 30, 2015 02:14 AM

Hi,

Just a FYI.

I had this implemented at a customer on a server 2012 R2 without any issues.

It is as easy as running the installer in compatibility mode as suggested by Igor.

And indeed for now... no official support.

cheers,

dawi_x