Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  SMP7.5 Exception: Item State has exceeded the 65,536 KB limit specified in the core settings

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 18, 2013 07:52 AM
      |   view attached

Yesterday we hit an odd issue when changing the filter on a managed software delivery policy. To reflect the our JRE update moving out of the pilot phase, we tried to change the policy to target the entire managed estate filter.

This changed never applied, with two errors raised in logviewer,

Failed to save item: a50e4dd7-8b99-4ca2-a79b-6b2ef5c4655f
    Altiris.NS.Exceptions.AeXException (): Item state has exceeded the 65,536 KB limit specified in core settings: a50e4dd7-8b99-4ca2-a79b-6b2ef5c4655f

Error at SWDTaskBasedPolicy::Save()### Exception:Item state has exceeded the 65,536 KB limit specified in core settings: a50e4dd7-8b99-4ca2-a79b-6b2ef5c4655f

This system is currently serving less than 50 clients. When this happens, an IIS worker thread seems to jump in memory consumption from 300MB to over 1GB.

The filters look sane and we've been using them for a while, so we were stumped as to why this filter change is generated this error. When viewing the policy we noted that it took a very long time to load.

If we export this policy as XML, the file created has 96,250 lines. This is about 100 times larger than it should be. There were a *huge* amount of repeated lines in this XML relating to Superscedence.

We upgraded to 7.5 HF2 and the problem persisted.

To resolve, we cleared all the superscendence entries for this software product (Java). When we then made a small change to the policy description and saved it. This then saved as a normal sized policy, so problem fixed.

Except we're not sure about the stability of superscendece when using superceded software products, rather than just components within a software product.

Attached for completeness is the bloated policy export when we used superscedence, and then the policy again once we'd removed it.

Publishing this here on CONNECT for fast 'Googling' for others who might encounter this problem.

Kind Regards,
    Ian./

Attachment(s)

zip
    Java(TM) 6 Update 65 XML.zip   601 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: SMP7.5 Exception: Item State has exceeded the 65,536 KB limit specified in the core settings

Posted Dec 18, 2013 01:31 PM

Is it sepercedence or policy versioning causing this? I am pretty certain that every time you edit and save a software delivery policy it saves the edited policy in its entirety as an append to previous versions. Edit a policy enough times and you'll quickly end up  in a situation that exceeds the limit....

Essentially I'd suggest the issue is more to do with the version recording of the policy than supercedence which is a policy to policy process... Correct me if I'm wrong though!

Cheers

Steve

• 3.  RE: SMP7.5 Exception: Item State has exceeded the 65,536 KB limit specified in the core settings

Posted Mar 12, 2014 02:01 PM

I had the same/very similar problem (with another application), so I went through looking at supersedences and such.  I know it's not version records, because I could get this to happen on a newly created policy.

Turned out to be too many supersedences on one of the applications.  I'm not sure if this was ever done in 7.1, but I've noticed that superseding software now chain together.  So I've had probably 20 versions of a software install over the past two years (a beta site for the software) and each version supereseded the previous one.  Well... after 7.5 was installed, the latest version still only had one supersedes in its associations, but when the policy was applied, you saw 40+ software detections in the policy actions and the XML was huge.  The same thing with our .Nets because we had .NET 4.5 superseding all other .NETs... and those superseded others... and so on.  So two applications had now a very LONG list of supersedes because of how 7.5 (I believe) now builds that list.

I simply removed the supersedes for .net 4.5 by making the applicability rule better and broke the chain of supersedes in our beta software by removing the supersedes a few versions back so that the chain was only 3 versions deep.

• 4.  RE: SMP7.5 Exception: Item State has exceeded the 65,536 KB limit specified in the core settings

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Mar 18, 2014 08:20 AM

Thanks for that. Superscedence seems to need some tweaking. Once I've got some time, will see if we can reproduce for Altiris support.

• 5.  RE: SMP7.5 Exception: Item State has exceeded the 65,536 KB limit specified in the core settings

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 20, 2014 01:28 PM

Hi Dressi,

> So two applications had now a very LONG list of supersedes because of how 7.5 (I believe) now builds that list.

there is a known problem with duplicated XML items generated for supersedes and Symantec development works on this - I plan to provide you with update soon.

• 6.  RE: SMP7.5 Exception: Item State has exceeded the 65,536 KB limit specified in the core settings
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 01, 2014 11:04 AM

ITMS 7.5 HF5 contains a fix for supersedence ("A Managed Software Delivery policy would time out when
    opening" item in "Fixed issues for Software Management solution" section of HF5 release notes, check TECH213420 for details).

• 7.  RE: SMP7.5 Exception: Item State has exceeded the 65,536 KB limit specified in the core settings

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 06, 2014 08:19 AM

Many thanks for letting us know Dmitri. Brilliant.