Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  SMS 8240 Additional RAM?

Posted Nov 11, 2008 12:50 PM

Can you add additional ram to an SMS 8240? I have an 8240, with the factory default 1.5 gig of ram. It's running on the ragged edge and could use more ram. I've found this to be a Dell Poweredge 750 server, and I can put 4 1gig chips in it. Does the software support it? Will it recognize it?

Tom

• 2.  RE: SMS 8240 Additional RAM?

Posted Nov 12, 2008 07:07 PM

I am guess you can add  more ram as it is just a dell hardware platform with a customised red hat.

Not sure it will be offically "supported" by Symantec though...actually pretty sure it wont be at all.

I would just do a backup and restore to a VMware SBG and then try out the new ram.

If it all goes to hell point the mail at your VM SBG....however if it all goes nicely you win.

If I can get my hands on an 82xx I will try it out and let you know.

Let us know how it goes.

Z

• 3.  RE: SMS 8240 Additional RAM?

Posted Jan 04, 2010 02:28 PM
    FYI.
    I removed the 1.5 gig, and installed 4 gig in my system (since it's out of hardware warranty) and wow what a difference. The menu's are instantaneous now. It's using 3.3 gig out of 4 now, and is a nicer system now. I wish Symantec would offer this as a supported option.

Tom

• 4.  RE: SMS 8240 Additional RAM?

Posted Jan 07, 2010 08:13 PM
    It's good to know that you were able to inject extra life into an aging (about 5 years old) and already out of warranty hardware.