Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  SMS SMTP 5.0.1 - DSN Compliant?

Posted Nov 03, 2008 05:21 PM
    Needing to know if the SMS SMTP 5.0.1 (with patch 189 installed) is  Delivery Status Notification compliant. I have been asked by my boss to get this working and have no idea where it might be in the Control Center interface. Running the control center and 2 scanners on W2K3 R2 SP2. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

• 2.  RE: SMS SMTP 5.0.1 - DSN Compliant?

Posted Nov 04, 2008 04:13 AM

Hi,

Confused...

Are you asking if we comply to the RFC standards around DSN or are you asking if you can change what/how notifications are sent out or perhaps you are talking about blocking backscatter?

Can you give a bit more clarification about what problem you need to address?

--ian

• 3.  RE: SMS SMTP 5.0.1 - DSN Compliant?

Posted Nov 04, 2008 09:59 AM
    Um, no....I am asking about the product I mentioned (in the subject line) that we have purchased from you (SMS SMTP 5.0.1) and if IT is DSN compliant. If so how can I set up the DSN on this product, I can't seem to find anything in the manuals that go along with this product, please forgive me if this is a silly question I am new to working with SMTP. How do I setup the DSN on this product, SMS SMTP 5.0.1? Thank you again.

• 4.  RE: SMS SMTP 5.0.1 - DSN Compliant?

Posted Nov 04, 2008 11:07 AM

Hi,

Perhaps I could have worded my reply better, I realise which product you are talking about.

When I say i'm confused, I do not understand what you are trying to achieve/configure.

I provided a link to the wiki explanation of DSN/NDR/Bounces hoping you'd be able to clarify what you meant.

Anyway, Delivery Status Notifications (DSN - hopefully you mean delivery status notifications) can be generated for more than one reason, again that's why i supplied the wiki links in my response.

If you mean you want to stop invalid recipient mail generating NDRs, enable directory harvest attack (DHA) protection under the Invalid Recipients setting.

If you mean, "will a delivery receipt be sent by the SMS-SMTP mta?"- yes this will be generated if requested.  No configuration steps.

Otherwise, you'll have to be more specific as to what you mean.

--ian

• 5.  RE: SMS SMTP 5.0.1 - DSN Compliant?

Posted Nov 04, 2008 01:20 PM

Just to clarify, I am dealing with being compliant for this;

http://www.ebnuscourts.com/register/choose_set_test.adp

I noted in my first responce that I was talking about DNS (Delivery Service Notifications) from the scanners for the SMS SMTP 5.0.1 product. I am asking if I need to setup the scanners to make it respond back with a DSN receipt because currently we are failing on the DSN audit by this company (see link above). You stated nothing needed to be setup on the scanners if a DSN is requested, so what do you mean if requested. I am needing to setup a few specific email address in our organization to have a DSN receipt sent but, not sure how to go about doing this on the scanners. Hope this helped the confusion here, sorry about that.