Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SMSMSE6.5.5 not updating when SEP 12.1 installed

• 1.  SMSMSE6.5.5 not updating when SEP 12.1 installed

Posted May 17, 2011 05:38 PM

It appears that after upgrading my SEP 11 installation to 12.1 that now SMSMSE is not updating anymore. Are they not compatible?

• 2.  RE: SMSMSE6.5.5 not updating when SEP 12.1 installed

Posted May 17, 2011 07:42 PM

The two products are compatible, but SMSMSE can no longer share definitions with SEP and will need to run LiveUpdate itself to update its content.

This is an unfortunate side effect of us changing the way we update and manage our definitions I'm afraid.

• 3.  RE: SMSMSE6.5.5 not updating when SEP 12.1 installed

Posted May 18, 2011 05:46 AM

Hi Dennis,

I can 100% confirm what Paul has stated, above.  SMSMSE will need to run its own LiveUpdate task to remain up-to-date.  This is by design.  SEP 12.1 uses a compeltely new and different LiveUpdate technology under its hood.

You may find some additional assistance with SEP 12.1 here in its dedicated connect forum: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/SEP_12_Beta_Group

Thanks and best regards,

Mick

• 4.  RE: SMSMSE6.5.5 not updating when SEP 12.1 installed

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 18, 2011 07:29 AM

Hello,

"Thumbs up" to Paul.

I agree.

Well..

To Enable SMSMSE from performing definition updates
    1. In the left pane of the SMSMSE console, click Admin.
    2. In the middle pane, click LiveUpdate/Rapid Release Schedule.
    3. In the right pane, check "Enable automatic virus definitions updates."
    4. Deploy changes.

• 5.  RE: SMSMSE6.5.5 not updating when SEP 12.1 installed

Posted May 18, 2011 11:19 AM

Unfortunately that is how SMSMSE is configured. However, it is failing to get updates.

• 6.  RE: SMSMSE6.5.5 not updating when SEP 12.1 installed

Trusted Advisor
      Posted May 18, 2011 11:30 AM

Hello,

What Happens when you run the 'Luall.exe' (without quotes) from the Start > Run Window?

What Error does it provide you?

• 7.  RE: SMSMSE6.5.5 not updating when SEP 12.1 installed

Posted May 18, 2011 12:33 PM

Luall says everything is up to date. I can see SMSMSE definitions as one of the things it is checking. Perhaps I should just re-install SMSMSE. It appears that Live update is downloading the definitions but SMSMSE doesn't seem to see them.

• 8.  RE: SMSMSE6.5.5 not updating when SEP 12.1 installed

Posted May 18, 2011 03:29 PM

Hello Dennis,

Can you report an incident into the SEP 12.1 beta forum.  Please let them know the steps you did.  The SEP 12.1 beta site is here:

http://symbeta.symantec.com

Thanks.

• 9.  RE: SMSMSE6.5.5 not updating when SEP 12.1 installed

Posted May 18, 2011 06:18 PM

Hi Dennis,

It looks like with SMSMSE 6.5.5 the definitions path is a little different to normal and we were accidentally removing them as a part of migration cleanup. The easiest way of fixing it would be copying VirusDefs (or at least usage.dat) from clean SMSMSE installation.

We will have this fixed for the release.

• 10.  RE: SMSMSE6.5.5 not updating when SEP 12.1 installed

Posted May 19, 2011 11:44 AM

I have registered with the beta forum and sent a message that I would like to be added to the SEP 12.1 beta forum. Once I have access, I will report this there.

Dennis

• 11.  RE: SMSMSE6.5.5 not updating when SEP 12.1 installed

Posted Jun 03, 2011 12:54 PM

I must not understand what to do. I tried replacing usage.dat and VirusDefs to no avail. So I uninstalled SMSMSE and re-installed and it still won't update the virus definitions--reports everything is up to date.