Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

Snapshot canceled by user, event 3 and 31 on Win 2008 64bit

Created: 13 Mar 2011 • Updated: 14 Apr 2011 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Have a brand new Win 2008 64bit server with Exchange 2010 on it, installed Recovery Solution Agent on it (this is my first 64 bit client I've used, my 30 others are all 32 bit).  Using latest v7 client.  First 4 or 5 snapshots went fine, last 5 or so keep ending with Snapshot canceled by user on Volume C.  Then in event log I see an Event 3 logged

Log Name:      ATRS_RS
Source:        Recovery Solution
Date:          3/12/2011 6:36:26 AM
Event ID:      3
Task Category: Server Job Queue
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      server.stella.local
Description:
The Recovery Solution Server job got a COM Error when trying to execute a method on IDSQueue Interface.
 Local Event Code: 0xc0060003
System Event Code: 0x00000000

And then an Event 31 logged

Log Name:      ATRS_RS
Source:        Recovery Solution
Date:          3/12/2011 6:36:26 AM
Event ID:      31
Task Category: Client Core
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      server.stella.local
Description:
Unable to update the status of the metajob on the Recovery Solution Server.
 Local Event Code: 0xc013001f
System Event Code: 0x00000000

Think I might have had this problem before on v6.2 with a client, but don't know what to do to remedy this.  Haven't tried reintstalling or anything like that.  I'm assuming the problem has to do with backing up the exchange database since it is a 50gb file or so, but not really sure.  Always worked fine on my Win 2003 with Exchange 2003 Server.
Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

KSchroeder's picture

I don't think Server 2008 is supported by RS...are you stopping the Exchange services before the snapshot? You may need to extend the snapshot timeout setting on the RS server. I don't have the setting on me at the moment but it is fairly apparent. Maybe SnapshotDeadTimeout or similar. In any case, RS for server its eol so I suggest looking into other options for backup. Also do you have the latest hotfixes installed?

Thanks,
Kyle
Symantec Trusted Advisor

For Forum threads, please click "Mark as Solution" if answered.
For all content, please give a thumbs up if you agree with or support the post.

Kevin Brainard's picture

I'm running v7.0.3454 of the RS.  I assumed it was covered since it was working first few times and since they is 64bit support along with Windows 7 support.  

Not sure where to find out if Win 2008 is supported and if there any hotfixes available, I knew how to find this on Altiris site but no luck on Symantecs.  And I do know it is EOL but I haven't found anything comparable yet to it and was hoping some the RS features would be included in future versions of BESR.

For Exchange I'm not taking it offline as I never had to before with prior versions of Exchange.

The SnapshotDeadTimeout is this under the database because I'm not seeing anything under the web interface for timeout settings.

KSchroeder's picture

The Symantec "SymWISE" KnowledgeBase is available here.  RS 7.0 Release Notes are available here in DOC1584.  From the RS 7.0 Release Notes:

Recovery Agent

The following platforms are supported:

• Windows Vista (through SP2) (32-Bit or 64-Bit Edition)
  • Windows XP Professional (through SP3) (32-Bit or 64-Bit Edition)
  • Windows 2000 Professional (through SP4)

Note: The following platforms are no longer supported for the Recovery Agent:

• The Recovery Agent in local mode or mixed mode (All snapshots must be made to a Recovery Server. You can no longer use a local partition.)
  • The Recovery Agent on Windows 98 (including SE), and Windows NT
  • Windows Server operating systems and multi-boot configurations are not supported.

I'm still on RS 6.2 SP3, and searching a bit I do not find any RS 7.0 hotfixes, though I thought there were some...

So, to summarize you are using an unsupported configuration.  I would suspect hte snapshot is failing as the Exchange message store is being modified too much while the snapshot is in progress (or there is some undocumented maximum file size limit per file, which wouldn't be too surprising).  The old RS 6.2 SP2 (I believe) Admin guide included guidance around backing up Exchange, SQL Server, and IIS; for Exchange it specifically indicated that it was required to stop the Exchange service before backing up the store.  This information is not present in the RS 7.0 Admin guide nor the 6.2 SP3 guide as server support has been discontinued several years ago now.

Thanks,
Kyle
Symantec Trusted Advisor

KSchroeder's picture

The registry value I was looking for is DeadJobDeltaTimeInSeconds or DeadManTimerSeconds; it may be taking so long for the agent to send a status message that the RS server is interpreting that as a timeout and cancelling the snapshot.  These values are set on the RS server's registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Altiris\eXpress\Client Recovery; they cannot be set directly in the RS UI in the Altiris console.  Most likely the RS service needs to be restarted after setting these values.

Actually I take that back; that is the setting but per HOWTO10904 the value must be set in the RS database instead of the RS server registry since RS 6.0.  To update it, run the following against the RS database from SQL Server Mgmt Studio:

UPDATE SystemDefaults
SET DeadJobDeltaTimeIn = 1800 --Increase to a higher value if it still times out

Thanks,
Kyle
Symantec Trusted Advisor

SOLUTION
Kevin Brainard's picture

Thank you, and it since SP1 of version 7 they announced they support Windows 7 32 and 64 bit but no mention of 2008.  I'm going to start using BESR for my servers, just thought it would be nice to use RS on them until I get that solution installed and working well.

I will try the database update to and see if that helps.