Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Some questions on Exchange Server 2003 to 2010 migration

Created: 16 Aug 2012 • Updated: 15 Oct 2012 | 9 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

We are going to be migrating our single Exchange Server 2003 to Exchange Server 2010. With Exchange Server 2010 we will have 3 Mailbox servers.

1. I have been reading the document, "Enterprise Vault 9.0 Archiving from Exchange Server 2010." and it generated a question regarding the statement, "As per best practice recommendation a service mailbox should be created for every Exchange Mailbox server that will potentially host one of the databases."  In talking, with my Exchange Adminstrator, the mailbox database is going to be replicated to the other two mailbox servers (one on site and the other offsite).  We already have a Vault Service Account with a mailbox on our current Exchange 2003 server.  If the same database is going to be replicated from the primary 2010 Mailbox server to the other two servers, wouldn't the Vault Service account  and Service mailbox already be on the other two servers?  So I don't understand why I would need to create two additional service mailboxes. Would someone clarifiy this for me?

2. We are going to be gradually moving our mailboxes over to Exchange 2010 over the course of a month. I read Tech48928 and it seems to describing a one shot deal of moving mailboxes. So I'm not sure if that article really applies to my situation. Other than running the shell script for  the throttling, what else do I need to do?

3. The article also said that I would need to create an Archving task for each server. I'm assuming I would keep my current archiving task for the 2003 server and then create 3 additional archivng taks for the three 2010 servers. The article says to keep all the tasks "running". Are they any potential conflicts  with simultaneously archiving 2003 ans 2010 while I'm in this =transiton period?

Thanks,

Rick DeFilippo

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

JesusWept3's picture

1. I have been reading the document, "Enterprise Vault 9.0 Archiving from Exchange Server 2010." and it generated a question regarding the statement, "As per best practice recommendation a service mailbox should be created for every Exchange Mailbox server that will potentially host one of the databases." In talking, with my Exchange Adminstrator, the mailbox database is going to be replicated to the other two mailbox servers (one on site and the other offsite). We already have a Vault Service Account with a mailbox on our current Exchange 2003 server. If the same database is going to be replicated from the primary 2010 Mailbox server to the other two servers, wouldn't the Vault Service account and Service mailbox already be on the other two servers? So I don't understand why I would need to create two additional service mailboxes. Would someone clarifiy this for me?

If you have a DAG with say exch1/exch2/exch3 that could host any failed databases, you really would want to have a system mailbox per server that do not fail over with the DAG. It doesn't have to be per exchange database, just per exchange server you target.

Also it doesn't matter where the EV Admin resides, as long as its on any Exchange 2010 server when it comes time to apply the throttling and permissions scripts. but the EV System mailbox, you would want one per exchange server

2. We are going to be gradually moving our mailboxes over to Exchange 2010 over the course of a month. I read Tech48928 and it seems to describing a one shot deal of moving mailboxes. So I'm not sure if that article really applies to my situation. Other than running the shell script for the throttling, what else do I need to do?

When you move your mailboxes, see if you can keep the exchangeDN (LegacyMbxDN) and the ExchGUID to remain the same, otherwise what happens is when provisioning runs, it see's them as new mailboxes and you could end up with duplicate archives.

You may want to look at using SynchInMigraitonMode registry key as well, and if you can test moving a couple of users and ensuring that the mailbox moves and archives get associated with it automatically, that would be the best approach

3. The article also said that I would need to create an Archving task for each server. I'm assuming I would keep my current archiving task for the 2003 server and then create 3 additional archivng taks for the three 2010 servers. The article says to keep all the tasks "running". Are they any potential conflicts with simultaneously archiving 2003 ans 2010 while I'm in this =transiton period?

There shouldn't be any conflicts running Exchange 2003 and 2010 at the same time.
The only issue you could possibly have is if you need to specify the Global Catalog manually through the DS Server registry key, when you do Exchange 2003 Archiving, you would point DS Server to be GC://aGCServer.yourDomain.com, but with Exchange 2010 archiving you would specify GC://yourCASServer.yourDomain.com

If you specify the CAS and not a Global Catalog server, then most likely your Exchange 2003 tasks would fail, if this does happen, specify the CAS server as the GC in the ExchangeGCOverride column in the ExchangeServerEntry table

SOLUTION
LCT's picture

My first question is, are you going to be using DAG for your exchange 2010 environment? If you are then for every active database on an exchange server you must have a system mailbox for EV to connect to that Ev server. Remember in exchange 2010 and DAG EV will target the exchange mailbox server but will only archive active databases. Hope this answers your question 1.

Question 2.

not sure what you are asking but this technote address the important of the steps is the SynchInMigrationMode reg key

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48928

You need to add this reg key on all of your EV servers (if you have more than one).

Of course you need to go through the steps of setting up the Exchange 2010 target for EV before you can do the move etc.

question 3.

Yes you need to keep all the tasks running during the transition, there won't be any conflicts as they are all using seperate system mailboxes etc.

Also you need to have Outlook 2007 SP2 with a couple of hotfixes or Outlook 2007 SP3 on the EV servers.

How many EV servers have you got? How many active mailboxes are there in your environment?

*edit  for EV to connect to that exchange server not EV server.

legomai's picture

Thanks for the quick repsonses.  Light is slowly dawning on Marblehead

We will be using DAG.  We only have one EV server with about 400 active archived mailboxes.

The VSA's mailbox is set as the system mailbox for the Exchange Server 2003's archiving task. 

To clarify, when I move the Vault Service account over to the primary Exchange 2010 mailbox server I can use its mailbox box in the primary server's archiving task. 

I will need to create a system mailbox for each of the two failover Exchange 2010 Mailbox servers and associate those mailboxes with each server's archiving task.

LCT's picture

I would keep the EV service account as it is on the primary exchange 2010 server and don't use it's mailbox a system mailbox, although technically you can but it is not recommended.

If each of your DAG exchange mbx member that has an active database on it then yes you need to have a system mailbox for that exchange server on the active database.

For example, when I have two exchange mbx servers in a DAG, and only one of it has active databases and the other is used as a failover or database copies as it were, then you only need to have one system mailbox on one of the active databases on the 'active exchange server', when the DAG failover to was 'passive exchange server' DAG member, EV would need to run the Provisioning task to update the users/mailboxes to pin point where they are i.e. on the active databases hence will find the system mailbox there.

LCT's picture

oh and you need to create a new system mailbox for exchange 2003 after you have moved the EV service account to an exchange 2010 server, otherwise you will find the task will fail for exchange 2003 target as there is no system mailbox for it anymore...

JesusWept3's picture

just so you know, its not supported to use the EVAdmin account as the system mailbox, they should be seperate

legomai's picture

Both of you have been very helpful.  So thak you very much.

One last question. We wil be  migrating our mailboxes to the EXCH 2010 server over the course of a month.  Someone outside of this community suggested that I hold off moving the Vault Service account until all the mailboxes have been migrated. That didn't sound right.  What's you're take?

JesusWept3's picture

nope, you *HAVE* to move the VSA and email to the Exchange 2010 in order to run the Permissions and throttling scripts, otherwise it will not function correctly.

They may have said that since you are using the EV Admin mailbox as an exchange system mailbox, you shouldn't move it because then that task would fail.

Simply create a new system mailbox for EV on the exchange server where the EVAdmin is the system mailbox, then in the task properties, change it from the evadmin to the new system mailbox.

Afterwards, move the EVAdmin account and the mailbox to an exchange 2010 server and then run the permissions and throttling scripts

aljimwat's picture

Exchange server migration; 2003 to 2007

The migration from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 to Exchange server 2007 is fairly smooth but at the same time requires thorough preparations. There are certain features that were present inexchange server 2003 but are discontinued in the later version.