Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

SPC 2.1.0.2075 Lots Of Problems

Created: 22 Jan 2012 • Updated: 22 Jan 2012 | 7 comments
AnnaSap1's picture

Hi, recently I've installed the new SPC and I have lots of problems with it.

I've integrated 5 SEP 12.1-

2 of the I've managed to integrate by name but the other 3 can't be recognize by name but by IP everything is OK.

I forgot to mention that all of them are in my LAN and don't have any DNS Problems and when I try to add by name I get this error:

"Protection Center cannot connect to the supported product host. check the availability of the host on the network"

By via IP its working.

The next problem:

after using few days the SPC cant integrate to the excising products, I mean that when i look under Symantec protection server->(click)my products are Not available(product access needed) and after I go to Admin->supported products->available supported products: I CAN see all of the SEP's,

So how can it be???

Please help!!!!!!

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

rscovel's picture

Greetings,

Issue 1:

When you integrate a product via "Product Discovery" you are required to use the IP address.

When you integrate via the "Add Product" wizard you are given the choice to use the IP or the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN).

There is currently an issue with using a FQDN to integrate a product. The issue has been fixed, and will be released as part of our of our first Roll Up for the SPC 2.1 product. I don't have a release date available.

All interactions with other systems require the use of FQDN's, since the SPC 2.X appliance is not a member of the domain, or the use of the IP address.

As a reminder:

Hostname = SystemX
FQDN = SystemX.DomainY.com

I would not recommend making modifications to the HOSTS file, or any other such changes to the SPC appliance.

You should use FQDN's when you can, but until the current FQDN issue is resolved via a patch you can use the IP address to integrate.

In addition, when entering a username for things like backup credentials, or AD login credentials, you must use the domain\username format. Otherwise when the SPC appliance sends your credentials to the domain members they will see SPCApplianceName\username with the password you set, and authentication will fail.

Issue 2:

It sounds like you are having authentication issues due to time drift, or time synchronization.

Look on the Available Supported Products tab. What does the system say about the connection status of your integrated applications? Is it Normal, Warning, or Error?

You need to set the SPC Server to use the same time server that you are using for your SEP servers.

This setup was completed during the SPC server setup. If you didn't complete that during setup, you will need to refer to TECH178342 for a signed script that will allow you to modify the internet time source.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Russ Scovel
Inside Systems Engineer

Altiris SOS – Endpoint Management and Mobility
Symantec Corporation 
www.symantec.com

AnnaSap1's picture

All the products are appeared as normal, but i can't see the, under the Protection Server main page, I can only see them when i disable and add all the products again.

Do you any system logs, maybe it will help.

about issue 1-thanks!!!:)

rscovel's picture

So after you integrate the products, you move to the Integrated Product Drop-down (IPD), left click it, and you don't have any items listed?
(Click on the Symantec Protection Center "Button" in the top left corner of the screen to "drop-down" the list of products.)

You then "hover" over one of the integrated products and it shows you the actual servers that you have integrated under that product. You "roll over" to that item and left click it to launch the management of that product in the appropriate manner.

Can you show screen shots of your SPC Web Console please?

Regards

Russ Scovel
Inside Systems Engineer

Symantec Corporation 
www.symantec.com

rscovel's picture

Greetings Anna;

Products that appear on the Available supported products tab have not been fully integrated.

The system has been "informed" about them, and is waiting for the integration to be finalized.

This is done by selecting the Discovered items, which 'opens' the product integration screen.

For SEP you want to use your administrator username and Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Domain.

The standard SEP domain is Default, and the standard username is admin.

The format you use on the integration screen is: Default\admin

You then enter your administrator (admin) password, then you select Enable.

If everything was entered correctly you will now see a success message, with a link to Enable another product. Select this link and then finish the integration with the remaining SEPM servers.

After products are fully enabled they move to the Enabled Supported Products Tab,

and you will also see them listed when you select the Product Drop-down in the top left corner of the screen.

Please mark as a solution if your questions have been answered.

Regards

Russ Scovel
Inside Systems Engineer

Symantec Corporation 
www.symantec.com

mspadea's picture

I notice in your screenshots you are connected to SMG 9.5.3.3.  Anything new and exciting or just a maintenance update?

rscovel's picture

Greetings,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner.

Just a maintenance update, as far as I am aware, in relation to the SMG 9.5.3.3

Regards

Russ Scovel
Inside Systems Engineer

Symantec Corporation 
www.symantec.com

rscovel's picture

Greetings AnnaSap1,

If your issue is resolved, please let us know and choose the appropriate resolution.

If you are still having issues, please let us know so we can fix them.

If you resolved this item yourself, please let us know how, so others may benefit.

Regards.

Russ Scovel
Inside Systems Engineer

Symantec Corporation 
www.symantec.com