Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

SPE 7.5 on Win2008 R2 very slow scans on XLSX files

Created: 10 Jun 2014 | 1 comment

I have several SPE 7.5 servers and they are all spending far too much time scanning even fairly small XLSX Excel files. I know they are basically zip/container files but this is out of hand. There is a very linear pattern of File Size to Scan Time. 

It seems that as approach a 2 MB file, it takes something like 1 entire second to scan. Then at 3 MB, we get pretty close to 2 seconds. At 10 MB, it hits 4 seconds. This is a huge problem for our NAS environment where there are other teams or systems using our NetApp cluster which is configured for on-access scanning. Our Servers/Storage team was trying a local copy of 5.5 GB and with scanning turned on it was going to take 45 minutes but when they disabled scanning it was a few minutes. I dug in and found it was a bunch of various size (sometimes large) XLSX files.

I know there are settings to make it not scan for certain amounts of time but that is not the answer.

Operating Systems:

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

Alex_CST's picture

Do you have any stats on scan time for particular xlsx files and their corresponding size?  What spec is your protection engine?  What type of CPU is it etc?

Please mark posts as solutions if they solve your problem!

http://www.cstl.com