Video Screencast Help

SQL server won't backup via agent

Created: 21 Aug 2013 • Updated: 21 Aug 2013 | 9 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have two problems.

 

First, I followed the advice on this forum and now SQL server doesn't start automatically: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-12-remote-agent-communication-error

 

Second, my original problem remains; SQL server backups fail EVERY time. Can someone help me fix the startup issue (since it was the link above that messed it up) and then help me get my SQL server to backup?

 

Thank you!

Operating Systems:

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

So:

1. What advice did you follow? There are multiple posts there!

2. What was the issue you experienced?

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Jaydeep S's picture

Could you be moer specific about the error encountered and rather what is the error that you get.

lmosla's picture

Hello, it is possible the backups were failing because of a hardware problem with the server, then because of this problem the server had trouble powering up after a reboot.  

Try checking Windows Events for errors.

CWTokyo's picture

@CraigV - Sorry, you're right, there are a ton. Here are the specific steps I took:

For 2003 Servers:
the following steps to re-register the Volume Shadow Copy service DLL's.
CD to Windows\System32
Net stop vss
Net stop swprv
regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
Vssvc /Register
regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
regsvr32 es.dll
regsvr32 stdprov.dll
regsvr32 vssui.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 msxml4.dll
Reboot your server.
After reboot, open a command prompt and run:
vssadmin list writers
 
The only one that DIDN'T work was "regsvr32 msxml4.dll", everything else worked. Now SQL Server has to be manually started on reboot and the backups STILL fail.
CWTokyo's picture

@ Jaydeep - This is what I'm seeing on the BE server in the job log:

 

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

 

Backup- saejptyo01db01
V-79-57344-65305 - The database server is not responding. Backup set canceled. V-79-57344-65305 - The database server is not responding. Backup set canceled. V-79-57344-65301 - The System State resource is not responding. Backup set canceled. V-79-57344-65301 - The System State resource is not responding. Backup set canceled.

 

Unfortunately, Symantec's help guides aren't too hepful; the specific link to V-79-57344-65305 refer to multiple issues, most of which don't apply to me, so it's like walking through a maze trying to find a solution. Hope this helps.

 

CWTokyo's picture

lmosla

 

That's very unlikely. Both servers work fine without error, but the backups have never successfully run. Getting SQL server to start automatically isn't a huge concern since that server rarely gets rebooted. The main problem is the backups fail every time. 

CWTokyo's picture

CraigV

sorry, I forgot to answer your second question. 

 

The problem is that backups fail without copying a single bit. I'm using BE on other servers and they work fine, but this one errors out every time. See my comment to Jaydeep for the specifics. 

 

What should be my next step?

CWTokyo's picture

Jaydeep S

Arrg! I pasted the error log but I must have not posted the message. Sorry! 

Here are the errors:

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

 

Backup- saejptyo01db01
V-79-57344-65305 - The database server is not responding. Backup set canceled. V-79-57344-65305 - The database server is not responding. Backup set canceled. V-79-57344-65301 - The System State resource is not responding. Backup set canceled. V-79-57344-65301 - The System State resource is not responding. Backup set canceled.

The problem is that the links listed above point to multiple potential problems so it's hard to figure out which steps I should take. 

CWTokyo's picture

Found out what the problem was. I hope this is helpful to someone else who is racking their brains with the wrong solution hoping to find the right one. It had NOTHING to do with VSS, AOFO, etc.

The high dynamic port range was closed by the firewall. It would be helpful if this kind of solution was mentioned more often by Symantec. There's a page of ports but this kind of information is not really specific. They need to connect the dots better on support.

Once our NE opened the dynamic range of ports on the firewall between the SQL server and the BE server, all worked like a charm. Hope someone else gets something out of this; I spent about 3 days trying to get this to work. 

Remember; the BE agent does NOT just use port 10000; it returns packets on the high end range of dynamic ports. Symantec, please, please, please make this information more readily available! 

SOLUTION