Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

SSR 2013 and Buffalo Terastation TS-XEL

Created: 18 Jan 2013 | 5 comments

I am attempting to get SSR 2013 to backup to a Buffalo TS-XEL but have not been succesful.  The backup fails at 5% every single time from every machine. The host machines can connect to the device via ping and browse the shared folders via explorer (Windows 2008 R2 Servers) and is using AD for authentication.  

I'm using domainname\username as the format for the username to authenticate against the TS-XEL.  Does anyone have any successful experience in backing up to a TS-XEL that can supply hints? I've found two articles online about this, one says to not use compression or to copy a recovery point to the NAS through Windows Explorer, neither of which is a viable option.  The other site mentioned that when backing up to a linux based device it fails at 5%, the device needs to be changed from shared mode to user mode, but there are no options for this outside of turning on NFS and choosing between user mode and kernel mode which also did not seem to work? 

P.S. I've also posted this at Buffalo's website and my company is a potential new customer for Symantec.

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Markus Koestler's picture

Hm we use other types Terastations to backup our servers with SSR 2011 and SSR 2013 without any problems. What is the actual error message when the backup fails ?

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s) ***

Bionic711's picture

Description: Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: PRDC - Drive Imaging.

Error E7D1001F: Unable to write to file.

Error EBAB03F1: Following Operating System error occurred while performing requested operation: 'The specified network name is no longer available.'

Error E7D10046: Unable to set file size.

Error EBAB03F1: Following Operating System error occurred while performing requested operation: 'The handle is invalid.'

Details: 0xEBAB0005

I actually was able to start making successful backups by making another folder in the structure. The folder stuructured changed from \\TS-XEL170\PRDC\ to \\TS-XEL170\PRDC\NetworkBackup\. Moving the destination location from the root shared folder to a folder deeper in the heirarchy seems to have resolved my issues.

Sometimes the TeraStation behaves strange - but you could try one of those: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH55684

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s) ***

Have you had a change to try ?

Have you tried ?