Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

SSR 2013 Desktop backup RAID system and restore to SATA HDD failing

Created: 24 Apr 2014 | 5 comments
gsssman's picture

Has anyone had any success in backing up a Win 7 64-bit Pro LSI-based 9265-8i RAID 5 PC and restored to a similar PC but with SATA HDD instead of RAID setup?  All I've gotten mine to do is have Win 7 restart over and over again at the end of the procedure, or to have it hang at a black screen with flashing cursor in upper left corner, never having started WIndows at all.

Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

TRaj's picture

What are steps used to perform the restore ?

Do you have "system reserved" partition

You said "restart over and over again procedure" , can you enable the option ""Disable automatic restart on system failure" and send us the blue screen error message received

We are requesting you to mark the forums as Solution , so that is makes easier for the viewer to search and refer the posts with "Solutions"

TRaj's picture

Any updates here ?

We are requesting you to mark the forums as Solution , so that is makes easier for the viewer to search and refer the posts with "Solutions"

Dino Varesco's picture

Sorry about the delay, family issues over the weekend prevented any work from getting done.

I followed the instructions in this Symantec document:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

BTW, as in the instructions in the above link explain, this was my case:  "Note: If a System Reserved Partition does not exists on a non-EFI system, windows likely put the boot files onto an existing partition, such as the operating system partition.", so there was ONLY the Windows partition to restore with SSR onto the new SATA drive in a similar system.

After SSR is comnplete, I click Exit and system restarts, but all that hapens is a flashing cursor on black screen, nothing else.

Thanks,

Dino

TRaj's picture

Seems like the new PC does not have the RAID 5 drivers , create a Custom SRD of your source machine and perform the restore on Sata HDD

Also when you say "If a System Reserved Partition does not exists on a non-EFI system, windows likely put the boot files onto an existing partition, such as the operating system partition.", so there was ONLY the Windows partition to restore with SSR onto the new SATA drive in a similar system."

So in your case do you have a system reserved partition or not ?

TRaj's picture

Any updates ?