SSR Desktop Edition Information Required
I'm running to your forum in the hopes I can get some information up-front for research/proposal work that needs to be completed.
We have a client with a need for image-based backups of exec laptops, which need to be restored quickly. SSR appears to fulfill this requirement (I understand basically how it works by using VSS and how it backs up to disk)...but I have a couple of questions:
1. How is the application licensed? Can you buy packs of licenses like DLO, or are they individual?
2. Are jobs scheduled, or can they be done manually too? Can they run across a WAN link (fixed line) or 3G?
3. How do you stream off to tape? Or would something like the HP D2D/EMC DataDomain work with the data being duplicated to a central location?
4. Any deduplication involved in the backups? ie...Laptop 2 running Windows 7 won't have the entire C:\ backed up after the primary backup of Laptop 1?
5. Any Gartner report on SSR that I can leverage?
6. Is this a server-client setup? Management software installed on a server and an agent on the laptops?