Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Stalled backups or Engine service not responding

Created: 07 Jun 2014 • Updated: 11 Jun 2014 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I was using BE 12.5D (on 2008R2) for a few years with very few issues. I upgraded the software to 2012 SP4 and after getting used to the differences settled down to about 2 weeks of no issues. Then without making any changes to the server or software, my backups started failing. I tried resolving the problem, which most of the time was "The Backup Exec job engine system service is not responding." The server wwould also restart for no apparent reason during a the backups so some of the failures were due to the backup not being able to continue from where they were interupted. I couldn't find anything in the Event Viewer to point to the problem, so I decided to do a clean install. I formatted the server, reinstalled the OS, updated it and then installed BE 2012, updated that. I then reinstalled the agents on all the servers too and restarted them to make double sure.

I created a Once-off backup of my Exchange server - Hyper V, 2008R2, Exch 2010 Std SP3. The backup got to about 3gb in size and then you could just watch the speed casually drop every 2 seconds or so, even though the size stayed at 3gb. The BE server would either restart or the job would fail with the "not responding" error.

I created a Once-off backup of a File Server - Physical, 2008R2, using DFS. The backup would initiate and then after about 10mins would stall and the same error "not responding".

I need a "fresh set of eyes" to help me here to see what I am missing. I have looked at this page:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

without any luck.

My BE server specs are:

HP DL 380 G6, 6GB RAM, 2008R2 ENT, roles: Domain Controller, DNS

Operating Systems:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi Rayza,

 

The server specs look fine. I wouldn't worry about the server roles assigned to it either as I have run BE on a server acting as a DC, DNS, WINS, Exchange, and File and Printand it ran fine!

Couple of things to do:

1. Repair BE itself through Add/Remove Programs;

2. Repair the BEDB through BEutility.exe;

3. Backup the media server itself and see if it slows down too;

4. Make sure that any AV  installed on the media server and remote servers isn't blocking the BE services, and if so, put in exclusions for them.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Rayza's picture

Hi CraigV. I did all the steps that you mentioned and then created a Once-off backup of the media server itself which worked fine. I will now do one or 2 other servers and see how they turn out and then repost back here.

Thanks

Rayza's picture

I tried doing a backup of the media server (to network share) and then started a backup of my Exchange server (to disk on the media server). The server eventually froze after about an hour. I managed to remote restart the server and after about 4 hours was able to log in again. I uninstalled my AV, and rebooted. Then I initiated a backup of my Exchange server again and it started off well, getting to about 3gb in a minute and then slowly over a period of 2.5 hours slowed right down to 25mb/min, still at 3gb.

 

Rayza's picture

I downloaded BE 2014 and upgraded all my licenses. I formated my server, installed 2012R2 and then BE 2014. I then did Once-off backups of all my servers and they all completed without any issues. Clearly there was something about BE2012 my server didn't like. The interface on 2014 is much better too.

SOLUTION