Video Screencast Help

Strange issue with Outlook Addin 10.0.3 running in Outlook 2003

Created: 01 Jul 2013 | 7 comments

We recently upgraded from 9.0.2 to 10.0.3.  Everything has gone smoothly except now I'm seeing something strange with the Outlook Addin.

Currently all our users are in Outlook 2003 in an Exchange Server 2010 environment.  We'll soon be upgrading to Outlook 2013 (late Aug. early Sept), so we have some test instances of Outlook 2013 as well.

The addin works fine with 2013 but not with 2003. The Archive Explorer and Search Vault functions do not work properly.  When  a user clicks the Archive Explorer button on the Outlook toolbar, the Navigation Pane disappears and  the user can't type in the Search field. When a user clicks the Search Vault button nothing happens at all.

I would have installed the HTTP version of the Outlook Addin but could not find it on the media. So, I have no way of telling if it the issue is withOutlook  Addin in gerearal or if it's isolated to the non HTTP addin.

Any direction you could give me to get this fixed would be appreciated.

Operating Systems:

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

Rob.Wilcox's picture

Are you clean installing against Office 2003?  Or upgrading a previous add-in?  Was the previous add-in (if you're doing that) HTTP or DCOM?

legomai's picture

We are instaling the new add-in via Active Directory and I belive part of the installation routine is to first uninstall the 9.0.2 version which was  HTTP.   Do you think there may be a remnant of the HTTP in the registry?

Rob.Wilcox's picture

Well, I would certainly try a manual, regular installation and see what happens.

legomai's picture

I used the ResetEVclient utility and that seemed to fix the issue. 

It also led me to discover that something that must have happened  with the permissions to the archives when I upgraded from 9.0.2 to 10.0.3.  

When I opened Archive Explorer, I could  see every end user's mailbox.  I took a closer look at the properties of the Archives.  All the archives have several accounts listed that have permissions to the archives. They seem to be administrative user/groups and users who are exchange admins.

codeunit's picture

We are getting exactly the same strange issues running Outlook 2003/2007 SP3 with EV Add-in v10.0.3 on Windows XP - The Archive Explorer and Search Vault functions do not work properly. Upgrade done from v9.0.2 (HTTP or DCOM), EV Archiving infrastructure is v9.0.4.

Rob.Wilcox's picture

Any updates on this issue? Were you able to resolve the problems?

codeunit's picture

After spending significant amount of time we can confirm that an issue is with outcmd.dat file once client has been upgraded from v9.0.2/3/4 to v10.0.3/4 (it seems an issue with Windows XP workstations only!). This file stores changes to the toolbar options for Outlook 2007 and earlier, i.e views, toolbars, menus or settings.

Workaround: On an affected client renaming this file or if you reset the Toolbar within the Outlook client this also resolves the issue (View => Toolbars => Customize => Highlight Standard and click Reset).

This is a reason also, why ResetEVClient utility fixes this problem - the utility deletes the Outlook data outcmd.dat file.

Although, I've created a VBS logon script which has a logic to run on Windows XP PCs only and it renames outcmd.dat file each time once users are login into workstations.